Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Madison, IN.  (Read 2614 times)

Offline uridead

• Brood
Greetings from Madison, IN.
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:34:10 pm »
Extreme noob here from southern Indiana. No veil, no tools, no bees....  :shock:  I'm a freelance beekeeper wanna-bee here.

Picked up some hive pieces and parts here and there (mostly free), bought a couple supers with frames and foundations. I do volunteer cemetery work and found a nice bee tree on the edge of one Thursday and built a five frame nuc box this weekend with the intent of trying to entice the colony into the hive so I can slam the door shut behind them. So I'm just getting started with making the many mistakes required in an attempt of getting a couple hives up and going by this spring. Been putting off this as a hobby for far too many years.  Love honey, love bees, time to make it a reality! (did you know that if you fat finger the word honey, you could spell hiney?)

Anyway that's my shout-out to all the other noobs and seasoned keepers alike. Will be lurking and reading mostly but will certainly pop up with the occasional questions for sure. I ain't shy.  ;)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Greetings from Madison, IN.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:35:04 pm »
You may want to wait until spring, especially if they have been in the tree for a good while.  Good luck

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:40:36 pm »
Welcome to the forum and you may want to search trap out on the forum here.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:07:00 am »
Hello and Welcome!

I'm sure you'll find this forum to be a good site to learn more about bees and beekeeping.

I'd like to encourage you to get involved with a local club. Clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes, and are great places to find mentors and get connected to nearby beekeepers. There's a Spring Valley club down your way:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/entomolo/files/ep-beekeeper_assoc.pdf
Or it may be closer to cross the river - there's a Kentuckiana club in Louisville:
http://www.kyagr.com/statevet/bees/association/index.htm

Also, the Indiana State Beekeepers will be having an all-day beginning beekeeping class Oct 27th in conjunction with their fall conference. It's in Danville (west of Indy). Info can be found here:
http://www.hoosierbuzz.com/

Offline uridead

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 01:21:54 pm »
Thanks for the info and links indy. Have been gleaning info from this group indianahoney dot org and attended one recent event a couple weekends ago. Plan in attending more as they seem to always have something going on. Will have a close look at Spring Valley too, just not finding any web presence.

I see your from the Brown County area. That's one of my favorite day rides and Metamora is a close second, beautiful country.  

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 07:01:02 am »
Have been gleaning info from this group indianahoney dot org and attended one recent event a couple weekends ago.
SIBA is a great bunch of beeks. I've gotten to know several online and in-person. We usually have a few of them attend our State bee meetings - you might be able to carpool if interested.

anything