Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small cell nuc sales? Your advice wanted....  (Read 1741 times)

Offline theriverhawk

• House Bee
    • Young Life of Shelby County, AL
Small cell nuc sales? Your advice wanted....
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:31:55 pm »
I am selling nucs this year and am planning on growing it each year.  I'm also piddling with moving some hives to small cell.  Was just curious if you guys think small cell nucs would draw more $$?   Want to hear all thoughts positive and negative. 

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: Small cell nuc sales? Your advice wanted....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:40:57 pm »
I am selling nucs this year and am planning on growing it each year.  I'm also piddling with moving some hives to small cell.  Was just curious if you guys think small cell nucs would draw more $$?   Want to hear all thoughts positive and negative. 

We sell nucs on natural comb for a 50% premium to the Georgia package price.  This year packages for April delivery are $100, so we are selling natural comb nucs for $150.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline theriverhawk

• House Bee
    • Young Life of Shelby County, AL
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:47:10 pm »
That's what I wanted to hear....

Anyone else have thoughts?

Offline Cadman

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 05:30:45 pm »
I don't have experience selling nucs, but have thought about it. So, when you say small cell, are you going with small cell foundation or foundationless? FRAMEshift, do you sell your nucs as foundationless deeps? Anyone ever consider selling medium frame nucs, maybe 7 fame?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 02:03:03 am »
They are worth more to people looking for them.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:36:18 am »
FRAMEshift, do you sell your nucs as foundationless deeps? Anyone ever consider selling medium frame nucs, maybe 7 fame?
We use Mann Lake PF 100s (deeps) to get package bees down in size.  When they are drawing natural comb we raise them in 5 frame foundationless deeps (cardboard nucs) or  33 frame deep long hives.    
If we were using Langstroth boxes, I think we would be on 8 frame mediums.  Since we prefer long hives, the deeps work fine.   What we don't want to do is mix frame sizes.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

anything