Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flooding in Atlanta washes away beehives  (Read 14310 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: Flooding in Atlanta washes away beehives
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2009, 02:27:03 pm »
We're thinking about re-thinking the platform.  The hives were each on two single cinder blocks - maybe taller (2 cinder blocks high) next year and maybe not so close to the creek.  The director has suggested that the hives might move closer to the community garden which would keep them farther from the creek and on slightly higher ground.

We had a lot of rain last night and I found myself checking the USGS page that measures the height of Nancy Creek.  I think I'm going to get more familiar.  If any one of us had thought of the possibility of flooding, we would have gotten the hives out of there.  We could have looked at the gauge for the flood height - it's measured literally right by the hives in Nancy Creek.

My parents live on 16 acres of creek bottom land in Mississippi - my father did not build his house on a rock!  And in their location it is common for the creek to "jump the bank."   After a heavy rain in Natchez, it isn't unusual to look out of the house to see water.  I'm surprised I wasn't more tuned in as a result, but it never crossed my mind that the creek at Blue Heron might rise.

Oh, well, live and learn.  And it was a 100 year flood - so the chances are 1 % for it happening again any time soon.

Linda T
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 09:25:56 pm by tillie »

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2009, 01:26:12 pm »
Linda, I live in a flood zone and a few of my hives are located here. I can't imagine dealing with that, it's got to be extremely discouraging. My woodware sales have really taken off and I'd be happy to donate and send you some equipment to help you get it all back together.
Nathan

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2009, 03:47:22 pm »
Wow Nathan

That is extremely nice of you to do that for Tillie. I can't wait for her to see your post

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2009, 03:53:46 pm »
I agree, both Bud1 and Nathan, how very very cool of you!

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2009, 05:44:27 pm »
I am so sorry for your loss, Linda.  I have learned SO MUCH from your videos you took the time to make and willingly share - the wax tube fastener, crush & strain, solar wax melter.

You have made me think differently about siting our bees when we move to Arkansas in a few years.  We will probably locate them in the meadow that floods about every 10-20 years.  Since the cinder blocks didn't budge I was thinking about keeping some spare cinder blocks on hand and just raise the hives up if it starts flooding.  I think that would be easier than moving them up the hill, but that is another possibility.  I am only 5' 2" so I can't keep them stacked high all the time or I wouldn't be able to work them.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2009, 05:50:19 pm »
I'm sorry for your losses Linda, It's not hard to see among beekeepers where the girls rank as pets.  Good that you're taking precautions and moving them closer to the garden you mentioned. 1% chance is a small figure, but nature has a way of messing with the averages by eliciting the 1% thrice in 3 months in a row then waiting another 300 years. or not.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2009, 06:10:24 pm »
Minuscule problem when some have their refrigerators floating down the same stream.

Since I am from New Orleans originally and have several friends here in GA now as well that have lost everything to the flood I am not so sympathetic to a few lost bees.   

The bee hives can be replaced.  Just replace them.  Feel fortunate that you did not lose all of your family photos and keepsakes not to mention your home or life. 

Unfortunately sometimes people need to experience great loss before they appreciate what they have.  You should be happy it was the bees home washed away and not yours.

Priorities people...............

Don't pet the sweaty things

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2009, 06:26:13 pm »
Mason,
Just because you are not sympathetic to all the hard work several people put into this community project doesn't mean they have their priorities screwed up.
I am sure many of the people involved with the project at that park would be the first to lend a hand to those they know that are truly in need.
I do not believe Linda was asking for a hand out,she was just commenting on the loss of the volunteer project.
 I really see no reason for you to come in and dump on this thread. The people commenting here have followed Lindas blog and feel they know Linda personally.Most of us have a a glimpse of Lindas life the past few years and are proud of the many efforts she has put forth over the last few years. We will continue to support a good friend and good asset to our forum.
 And I know you would also have received the same support if it would have been your project washed away.I feel sorry for anyone that has losses in natural disasters. So I don't feel any of the posters in this thread should feel bad about giving moral support to another member.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 06:36:51 pm by buzzbee »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2009, 06:45:20 pm »
Hey, Mason, who gives a dippy doo about the people that lost their homes and belongings that they enjoyed for years. There's millions around the world that never had them to begin with. If you are only going to feel bad for the worst off ones, then don't give a second thought to the US of A. We have it made, even with the natural disasters.

Now put that in your pipe and smoke it, and see how it makes your post sound.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2009, 06:57:11 pm »
I actually have a hard time feeling sorry for New Orleanians who didn't evacuate. Years and years (like 15) before Katrina; I had cajuns telling me that when "the big one" hit, N.O. would be totally devastated or gone altogether. they didn't know hours in advance of Katrina - they knew YEARS in advance of katrina. There is no way you can tell me with that being a very common topic of conversation for ages prior that somehow a storm the size and power of katrina bearing down on  - lets just say - the delta AREA, that the people in new orleans wouldn't be going about saying "THIS IS THE BIG ONE WE'VE ALWAYS TALKED ABOUT!" I don't know the specifics of their screwed up mayor - but I think the simplest of morons on issuing an evacuation order for a city that size would go to work relocating everyone they could with a very strong focus on relocating people who couldn't relocate themselves.
  All the stuff they bought - surely in the back of their minds they knew it was gone in the face of 'the big one'. Well 'the big one' came, and a lot of new orleanians seem to think it's someone else's fault. 

EDIT: I apologize for going off thread,and for seeming insensitive; no suffering or anguish delights me.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:40:07 pm by Bee Happy »
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2009, 07:11:50 pm »
when ever someone loses something in which they have invested time and effort, it is sad.   an old man who loses his dog, his best friend, will go through more of a grieving process than someone who has their dishwasher float away.  an old lady who has all her memories and mementos burn up in a house fire, will mourn the loss even if most of the house is saved. a child who's favorite stuffed animal is lost in a flood can not be comforted.

linda has put a huge effort into her bees.  she has taken time to do her very best for them, keep a wonderful blog, and educate others on what she has learned.  the loss of her bees must be a great loss for her.

mason, i understand the point of your post, but perhaps it was a post that did not need to be made?

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2009, 07:32:30 pm »
Please folks,lets let this thread get back on track,i didn"t want to detract too much from the original thread. The intention was not to start a new side topic.Lets stay civil and respect one another.Thanks

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2009, 08:01:44 pm »
Dear Sweet People of this forum,

You are all a marvelous bunch.  I wrote about our tragedy in Atlanta because all of you love bees and I knew people in this group would understand how sad I was/am.  

I in no way intended to minimize the personal losses people always feel in catastrophe - losses of much greater enormity than bees and equipment.  I grew up on the Mississippi River and was often aware and affected by the many hurricanes - Camille, Avery, and many others that made their way up the river and petered out in Natchez.  My parents housed people after Katrina. My uncle and cousins lived in New Orleans and some of them lost their homes in Katrina.

I also was not asking for a handout - although many people have made generous offers of money and equipment - some back channel, some like Bud1 and Nathan - on this thread.  That generosity simply confirms for me what I know about everyone in this group - that we all love the bees, feel invested in their welfare and suffer together when something goes wrong.

I'm not going to accept the lovely offers of equipment - it is so expensive to ship - if someone in Atlanta offered or someone on a way that I might travel, I'd take them up on it....we all lost a lot in the flood....but mostly I hear the offers as representing the great generosity of spirit that exists in this group and which I treasure.

Among friends here, I thought I could say that this was so hard and you all would understand - which you have.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  

Linda T in Atlanta, full of your warmth and caring
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:46:21 pm by tillie »

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2009, 08:12:15 pm »
Linda,
Hold your head high as you can be proud of all that you have accomplished. Your blog and videos have helped so many that I think it would be hard to count.I hope to see you rebuild what has been lost,and touch some peoples lives that otherwise may not have had the opportunity to learn about the bees.We will all be anxiously awating to follow along here and on your blog as you and your group renew in the spring.
I appreciate all you have done and will be awaiting news of the new beginning.
I say to all of the members here: Give a big hand to Linda!! :) X:X

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2009, 08:25:24 pm »
 X:X X:X X:X Go Linda! If you ever make it to central Fl, I'd be happy to chip in a box or two!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Bozoshoes

• New Bee
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2009, 11:48:32 pm »
Ok, Now the question! Would most of the bees have survived if you had top entrances or lifted the tops with a wedge or hive entrance reducer in advance of the flooding? Mind you I'm not being critical, just asking a question. I'm also very sorry about your loss of so many bees.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2009, 12:02:37 am »
We've wondered about that - Julia's hive had a ventilated screen inner cover which is in effect a top entrance and her bees didn't get out.  Some of the other beekeepers had their tops propped open.  I had closed mine to avoid small hive beetle issues and because I was feeding my bees and didn't want robbing to occur. 

The flood happened between midnight and sunrise so probably the bees didn't have a chance to leave even if they did have top entrances.  The water rushed in, toppled the hives and that was that.

Next year I plan to be more mindful of the weather, the creek water level and the hive location relative to the creek.  Probably I'll be more conscious about leaving the top open as well.

LT in Atlanta

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2009, 05:42:53 am »
Linda, I've just read through this post. So sorry for the delay and so sorry for your losses. I'm pming you. Will be more than glad to help you re-stock.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2009, 12:41:58 pm »
I suppose I am forced to reply to the attacks.  Yes,  your hives being washed away is interesting news especially for the people who have been following the blog but it is really no big deal.  The insect world is brutal.  Accepting this IS moral support.  What was gained from the hard work was not flooded.  The knowledge remains and the wood and bees can be replaced easily. The knowledge and experience was the gain not the wood and bees.

Hey, Mason, who gives a dippy doo about the people that lost their homes and belongings that they enjoyed for years. There's millions around the world that never had them to begin with. If you are only going to feel bad for the worst off ones, then don't give a second thought to the US of a. We have it made, even with the natural disasters.

Now put that in your pipe and smoke it, and see how it makes your post sound.

Sorry,  I can not affect the world but merely the people close to me.  If everyone did the same people close to failing cultures abroad might not be in such a bad way.  I am also not "on the pipe".

I actually have a hard time feeling sorry for New Orleanians who didn't evacuate. Years and years (like 15) before Katrina; I had cajuns telling me that when "the big one" hit, N.O. would be totally devastated or gone altogether

Katrina missed New Orleans.  It actually hit 100 miles east in at Bay St. Louis MS.  The people who chose to stay were just stupid.  Still it is pretty sad to see people who have worked all their lives lose EVERYTHING including things that can not be replaced like pet dogs, cats and family treasures.  New Orleans is a flood risk.  By your logic everyone should evacuate California and all coastal regions for that matter.  Living in fear is not really living.

Linda,  just get some more bees.  It stinks they got flooded but it is really no big deal.  All that was lost was the least thing in beekeeping....the bees and hives.  Your work, the experience and achievement are not lost.  I am in Atlanta.  If you need some built out frames, bees or anything I may have let me know and I'll run them by but no crying. 

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2009, 01:08:46 pm »
 :-D

mason, i have a feeling that you and i were popped out of the same crusty mold.  i also have a feeling that under the crust is a good heart.  try not to dig yourself to china before others have a chance to understand that.  i have put my shovel aside for a garden trowel in the hopes that i will not make it to Beijing before i am known.  try it :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.