Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New splits  (Read 3058 times)

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
New splits
« on: July 13, 2013, 06:50:41 pm »
As was stated in a previous post. I got a nuc on May 11, then split it June 14th. Ended up with two frames with 4 queen cells each and split that to mating nucs. As of today I have a 50% success rate. A queen with a solid pattern, just as her Mother is. The other is only showing a few larvae and I could not find any eggs or the queen. Due to the weather conditions I did not stay in the hive long. I will give it another week or till the first suitable day I get next week to check it out real good. May have to do some other adjustments.  :) d2

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: New splits
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 12:42:30 am »
Don,
If there is still capped brood from when you did the split and you have new larva, sounds like you are batting a thousand, not 50 percent. If you see eggs or new larva, that is all you need to see. If I am trying to verify if I have a queen, as you were doing, once I see eggs or new larva, I am done with that hive.
Good job.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:18:52 am »
Done the split on June 14, that means all old brood has hatched. The one in ? has only a few larvae and I couldn't fine any eggs. Of course the light wasn't good either. The good one has one frame with one side full of capped and uncapped brood. may be a half doz cells missing, if that many. When I found this I just closed it back up and didn't look to see how much brood overall  there was. When I saw her before she mated she looked solid black. I should know what kind of temperament the bees have around the first to 15th of Sept.
I am pleased with the results of my first attempt at rearing new queens. But remember, I didn't notch the cells, but this was virgin comb.  :) d2

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 09:05:11 am »
Don,
Sounds good. Check it in a week to see how it is capped. You need to verify that they are not drones. You do not need to notch virgin wax. It is very easy for the bees to manipulate.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 02:23:01 pm »
I know it was to early to go in again but wanted to add beetle traps. The one in question has more flat capped brood than dome caps. Good sign. This one ended up with fewer bees to begin with so would be expected to be a little slower. I'm a happy puppy. :roll: ;) :) d2

anything