Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Floods and frosty webs  (Read 3069 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Floods and frosty webs
« on: January 05, 2009, 01:20:07 pm »
Greetings and happy 2009 all!

We went from buried in snow at the end of '08, to pretty significant rains & flooding at the start of '09 here.  The wetlands are definitely submerged.  An interesting phenomenon happened that I had not observed previously; spider explosion!  There were loads of baby spiders hatching everywhere the day before last.  Then, yesterday, I woke to a really eerie but beautiful sight as the dew had frosted all their webs/nets.   I thought I'd share some photos of it:

The cats (two bengals) are always on duty, guarding the hives and catching any would-be varmint intruders.
Maya

Mila

Cheers,
Dane

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
Re: Floods and frosty webs
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:52:48 pm »
Wow...very cool!  Handsome feline you got there by the way  8-).

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 03:48:16 pm »
Beautiful pics Dane!  Bengals..WOW!  They are so cool, busy & different than regular cats, wonderful! We just have regular cats. I love the profile pic w/webs on the ears & whiskers!  FINALLY today it has warmed up enough to melt most of the snow!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 04:20:12 pm »
Thanks for the kind words  :)

The waters have receded just a bit.  53°F currently.  Bees are a bit active.  More rains (potentially heavy) forecast today though.  I think the ducks will be right at home for some time.

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 06:36:05 pm »
Dane, oh what some beautiful pictures, I particularly liked the one of Maya.  Wow!!!!  You have a warmness to your weather.  If that was warm weather coming here like that, it would be called a chinook.  We are in the throws of incredible rain, it is surely going to do some flooding damage.  Our total snowfall since that beginning time in December has been about 26 inches, approximately.  Our temperature is currently

This is the warning on our weather network, it looks grim to me.  The temperature is currently 2 celsius (35F), you have what I would call t-shirt weather.  Have a most wonderful day, great health and life, live and love our lives.  Cindi

"TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS UP TO 70 MM EXPECTED FOR METRO VANCOUVER THROUGH WEDNESDAY. TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 80 TO 110 MM EXPECTED FOR THE HOWE SOUND AND FRASER VALLEY THROUGH WEDNESDAY. TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 100 TO 130 MM EXPECTED FOR WEST VANCOUVER ISLAND AND THE CENTRAL COAST - COASTAL SECTIONS THROUGH WEDNESDAY. THIS IS A WARNING THAT SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.
A FRONTAL SYSTEM CURRENTLY APPROACHING THE BRITISH COLUMBIA COAST WILL CONTINUE TO SPREAD SNOW TO THE INLAND SECTIONS OF THE NORTH COAST AND RAIN TO THE CENTRAL AND SOUTH COASTS. ACCUMULATIONS OF UP TO 25 CM OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED BEFORE IT TAPERS TO FLURRIES OVERNIGHT. OVER THE CENTRAL AND SOUTH COASTS RAIN WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES THIS EVENING AND OVERNIGHT WITH AMOUNTS RANGING FROM 70 MM OVER METRO VANCOUVER AND 110 MM FOR THE FRASER VALLEY AND HOWE SOUND THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING. HIGHER AMOUNTS OF 100 TO 130 MM ARE LIKELY FOR THE CENTRAL COAST AND WEST COAST VANCOUVER ISLAND BY WEDNESDAY MORNING."
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 07:04:13 pm »
I just got a email from the American Radio Relay League for ARES/RACES warning of heavy flood threats due to the warming and heavy rain:

FLOOD WATCH
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA
429 AM PST TUE JAN 6 2009

...FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR MUCH OF WESTERN WASHINGTON
FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON...

THE FLOOD WATCH CONTINUES FOR

* PORTIONS OF WESTERN WASHINGTON...INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING
  COUNTIES... GRAYS HARBOR...CLALLAM...JEFFERSON...SKAGIT...
  WHATCOM...KING...KITSAP...LEWIS...MASON...PIERCE...SNOHOMISH...
  THURSTON...

* A WARM AND VERY WET STREAM OF MOISTURE WILL BE AIMED AT WESTERN
  WASHINGTON THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THIS WILL RESULT IN
  SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREA AS WELL AS RISING
  SNOW LEVELS. STORM TOTAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS FROM TODAY THROUGH
  WEDNESDAY NIGHT ARE EXPECTED TO BE ON THE ORDER OF 6 TO 10
  INCHES ON THE COAST AND IN THE CASCADES...WITH UP TO 20 INCHES
  POSSIBLE ON THE WEST FACING SLOPES OF THE OLYMPICS.

* THE EXCESSIVE RAINFALL COULD DRIVE MANY AREA RIVERS ABOVE FLOOD
  STAGE...WITH SOME RIVERS POSSIBLY EXPERIENCING MAJOR FLOODING.
  THE HEAVY RAINS COULD ALSO LEAD TO SOME URBAN AND SMALL STREAM
  FLOODING.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 07:27:20 pm »
Oh goodie :-x   I don't have to worry but it is painful to see & hear of others. You guys be careful, specially you Sean with the big truck & having to go all over!  J

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 02:12:06 am »
OK, tell the tale, Jody, Sean, Brian, and anyone else in our PNW, how much snow did each of you have, accumulated, that will indicate how much rainy stuff you will have with the warming temperatures.  Will you have any flooding, define your elevation, and elaborate please.  Have that great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:39:02 pm »
We had a little over 2 feet that stayed on the ground for over 2 weeks, not a record on this island but one of the more notable due to the length of stay.

Right now I've been watching the news, All the snow from the past 3 weeks in now melting under the onslaught of the pineapple express (Warm moist air from Hawaii). As I see it, we have the possibility of having I-5 close down at 4 points within the state: Chehalis (Chehalis & Skookumchuck Rivers), like it did last year, Fife (Puyallup River), Marysville (Snohomish River), and Island Crossing (Arlington on the Stilliguamish River).
All of the mountain passes to eastern Washington are currently closed and may remain so for several days due to avalanche danger.  Snoqualmie Pass got hit with a climax avalanche (both snow and earth) that almost wiped out ski lodges as well as block I-90.
As I type this 19 out of 39 counties in the state have declared Flood emergencies.  Each has at least one River that will experience Major Flooding, and some have as many as 6-7.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 01:11:48 am »
Wow!  Some serious weather indeed.  We seem to have dodged the bullet down here so far.    All the precip is North of here.. I don't believe we've even had a .25" yet, Temp is currently 52°F, down from a high of 55°F.

Heart, thoughts & prayers out to all those in the storm's path.

Bless,
Dane

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 01:29:32 am »
we had about 2 ft consistently.  it would melt a bit then snow again.  after the 1st foot, we had an ice storm so in the middle of the snow was a sheet of ice.  fun stuff.  most has melted now except where there were great piles from the plowing.

as dane said, so far we are not flooding.  we do have a lot of wind and i just saw lightening flashes.  kind of unusual for this time of the year.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 02:25:04 am »
At the house here we probably only got around 12" snow.  Now like everyone else said it's the rain & melting snow in the rivers.  St Rt 410 is closed in Sumner and also from Enumclaw to Greenwater.  Puyallup,Carbon river, S Prairie creek are flooding & many of the littler roads in one place or another.  N Tapps Hwy close to Sean had water over it this afternoon.  As long as Mud Mtn. Dam holds Sean & I are ok, as we are both in little valleys less than a mile from the White River.  I surely don't want to have to put packs on the cow & goat & go UP!  What a sight that would be..Rose would probably stomple me into the mud!! Thank goodness Amanda lives up on the plateau here also so I don't have to worry about her in the night.  She does work in the valley between the Green & White Rivers.  More on the news tomorrow probably, we are having record flooding all around.  Like Brian said, all passes closed, I5 too as well as all the side roads so no one is going to Portland or over the mtns. for a few days...kinda spooky... :-\  J

anything