Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is this Legitimate ?  (Read 6164 times)

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
Is this Legitimate ?
« on: February 15, 2015, 03:10:19 pm »
NOTE: This was originally titled "Heh Heh!!" and posted in the Humor Section. The topic was assumed a joke at the time. I have moved it here to General Beekeeping  according to the request of the Topic originator.

Phillip 

If this is real, somebody move it out of Humor...  :grin:

http://www.honeyflow.com/

I've never had a hive, and I smell fish when I watch the video.  :cheesy:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 12:24:34 pm by Ben Framed »

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Heh Heh!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 06:54:10 pm »
Yes.  It's real.  I have six frames here.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 07:44:02 pm »
Well then... I stand corrected.

So this would definitely be the bees knees.  :happy:

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:45:02 pm »
I thought it was impossible when I first saw it.  I actually wondered if it was a spoof or if it was real.  But after seeing how it works and watching them do one frame in the open live on skype while I could see the entire frame and talk to them and after they sent me a box worth of them to test, I can assure you it works.  My test of it so far is too small and over too short of a time to be sure what I think of it in practice, but I can't imagine that I'm going to find too many disadvantages.  I'm not sure how I will manage my hives using them as it changes several things I have always done.  First, I run all eight frame mediums and these are deeps, so I'll have to buy some deeps (which I already did).  Second, it makes a hive much more static in size when you can empty the combs without even opening the hive really.  No need to stack the supers up so high when you can just drain them periodically without having to clean up the extractor and all the equipment and the kitchen every time.  Just draining it into a bucket eliminates all of that mess.  The queen won't lay in them because they are too deep so you don't need an excluder (which I don't use, but some people do).  You don't have to run the bees out to harvest so you eliminate all of that part of harvesting as well.  In recent years I've had all the same size boxes and I try to leave them honey for winter.  This may change my view of some of how I determine what to leave them since these are deeper combs and can't be used for brood I don't think I want them to cluster in them over winter.  So I'll have to work out the details of how I will use them as far as when to put them on, take them off, drain them, how many mediums to have on below them etc.  In other words, I'm pretty sure I'll be using them, it will just be too useful not to, but exactly how that impacts my total system I'm not really sure, until I've tried to work those details out.

When I first saw it I thought of this story from "Mastering the Art of Beekeeping" by Ormond and Harry Aebi:

" 'I want to buy one of your beehives' he said.  'I want you to bring it to me tomorrow at eleven in the morning and I want you to set it up on top of a ten foot pole that I'll have set up by that time.  And I want you to come over every Thursday afternoon and drain out the honey so that I can have fresh honey every week.'... 'I can't place a beehive up on a pole like that,' I said. 'And even if I could, I couldn't work it to take off the honey.' 'Why not? I shall expect you to install a spigot at the bottom of the hive.  All you'll have to do is open it and drain off the quantity of honey I require.'  'Beehives don't work that way,' I told him.  'I can't possibly do as you ask.'..."
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 05:40:03 am »
Michael, if you are pulling my leg I'll never forgive you!  This would be the most elaborate April Fools prank I would have participated in!

Hokahey!
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline USC Beeman in TN

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 12:44:07 pm »
Michael,

Answer a couple of questions for me.

1:  Have to use these special supers with windows?
2:  Do the windows cause the supers to heat up which causes the cappings to melt enough for the honey to "weep" out.
3:  Why wasn't there any robbing?
4:  Are the other hives' entrances closed up during this process.

Ken
De Colores,
Ken

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 01:11:10 pm »
>Answer a couple of questions for me.
>1:  Have to use these special supers with windows?

You just modify a regular deep box.  You wouldn't have to, but to get all the wonderful benefit of not having to bother the bees or run them out of the supers, I think it would be best.  I'm sure I could modify a dozen in an afternoon if they were new boxes.

>2:  Do the windows cause the supers to heat up which causes the cappings to melt enough for the honey to "weep" out.

The only reason for the window on the side is so you can check to see that they are drawn.  You don't have to have that, you could open the hive and pull a frame out, but I'd rather not.  You never put a window on a hive without something to cover it when you're not looking.  Just cut the piece of wood out and put the same piece back in.

>3:  Why wasn't there any robbing?

They are harvesting in a flow.  I would just make sure you have a tight fit between the tube and the bucket so they can't get in the bucket.  There there is no robbing because there is actually no exposed honey.  The way it drains the cappings don't usually get broken at all.  The bees, sensing empty cells uncap them later.

>4:  Are the other hives' entrances closed up during this process.

No.

It is my understanding that on the 23rd they will post more about exactly how it works.
-------------------

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 10:01:02 pm »
Absolutely fascinating.  Brain dead simple except I can't figure out how the air gets into the cells to allow the honey to flow out. 

Cost?
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014.
The truth is what the truth is.  We can bend, twist or stretch it all we want but, at the end of the day, the truth is still what the truth is.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 10:56:11 pm »
I'm guessing when the 'foundation' is shifted at the base of the cells, it runs out because of the natural downward tilt of the comb.

If you hold a frame of uncapped honey upside down, will it drain?

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 11:11:58 pm »
I'm guessing when the 'foundation' is shifted at the base of the cells, it runs out because of the natural downward tilt of the comb.

If you hold a frame of uncapped honey upside down, will it drain?

Some honey might drip out of an uncapped frame turned upside down but I think the frame would have to be unusually warm and certainly would not be effective.  If it were, why would we invest money in these expensive extractors.

Even with an extractor, there has to be a way for air to enter the cells in order to replace the volume vacated by the honey removal.

It appears that the rear of the cells are slit (not sure if it is permanent slits or slits made at each extraction) similar to the slit uncappers.  It is interesting that the system engages the bees to take care of the messy part of conventional uncapping.  I am intrigued by the total lack of any suggestions as to just how much of the honey is extracted 

I signed up for more info but all I got was a reprint of what is on their web site.

BTW, thank you Maggiesdad for bringing this development to our attention.
Regards, Dennis
The truth is what the truth is.  We can bend, twist or stretch it all we want but, at the end of the day, the truth is still what the truth is.

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 12:04:06 am »
Michael Bush, I see that you are one of the folks that got to test this invention.  I presume that you may be under a gag order at least until the 23rd but I would be interested in hearing whatever you might be able to say about these frames.  As a new beekeepere starting this past Summer, I am still in equipment building/buying mode so it's a good to time to implement any innovative technologies.
Regards, Dennis

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 12:34:40 am »
>Michael Bush, I see that you are one of the folks that got to test this invention.  I presume that you may be under a gag order at least until the 23rd but I would be interested in hearing whatever you might be able to say about these frames.  As a new beekeepere starting this past Summer, I am still in equipment building/buying mode so it's a good to time to implement any innovative technologies.

Somewhat... but I guess I can tell what everyone seems to already know.  The air gets in the top because you pop the cap on the top area and that's where you "break" the cells open so it can run, so the air goes in the top while it's draining.  It runs out pretty quickly.  I'm sure some honeys (Heather comes to mind) will run more slowly, but most seem to run out very fast.  The honey in the hive tends to run around 93 F in the summer.
-------------------

Offline DMLinton

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 12:40:32 am »
Thanks, Michael.  I am already envisioning collection tubing strung along each row of hives transferring the honey to central collection points.

Do you know whether these frames, even a test sample, might be available for the 2015 season or are we looking at something a little further out?
Regards, Dennis

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 09:53:51 am »
>Thanks, Michael.  I am already envisioning collection tubing strung along each row of hives transferring the honey to central collection points.

Kind of what I was thinking.  Sort of like a milking machine...

>Do you know whether these frames, even a test sample, might be available for the 2015 season or are we looking at something a little further out?

They were making them for testing and for while they've been tweaking that trying to make an amazing thing more amazing... so obviously they can produce them now, but I'm not sure exactly of their planned delivery as a retail product.  Obviously they already could make them.  I don't know how cheaply etc.  They will reveal more on Feb 23rd when they actually roll this out to KickStarter.  But yes, I think their plan is to have it for 2015 as I understand it.
-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Is this Legimate
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2022, 12:24:02 pm »
Moved from the Humor Section.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
Re: Is this Legitimate ?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2022, 01:07:12 pm »
well michael, Im interested you still using these?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2022, 07:02:26 am »
>well michael, Im interested you still using these?

They have send me about six supers worth.  I do use them.  They are quite nice, but quite expensive.  The only downside from my point of view is how much they weigh when I am moving them to inspect the brood nest.

-------------------

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2022, 10:57:24 am »
I am wondering how this type hive might fare in an area of heavy SHB presence.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2022, 05:21:40 pm »
2 people i know have them but quit using them. Never quizzed them on why, Ill have to ask.

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2022, 11:10:55 pm »
A lot of hobby beekeepers run a flow hive or two in my area. The engineering of the frames is fabulous. Even though they are quite expensive, the quality of the hives and the frames is really good. It does offer an alternative to those who don?t want to get into buying extractors and other expensive equipment. They work quite well when there is a strong flow on and the bees will fill the plastic cells freely when there is no other option for them. I know of a few people who believe that all you need to do is set up the hive and drain honey off as you need it. The reality is that hive inspections and maintenance are still required as in all other forms of beekeeping.

anything