Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: another cutout in lutcher  (Read 7633 times)

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
another cutout in lutcher
« on: June 05, 2011, 11:45:04 pm »
a friend of mine asked if i could help out an elderly lady that had some honeybees in her washshed.i love helping out our senior citizens .this lady is 87 and a very sweet person.she told me that she do alot of thing around the house herself but when it comes to bees she said i can have at them.i got to say it was the hottest day of the summer so far, it hit 102 a new record.my battery went dead at the end of the cutout but i did get the queen .after i had finished she invited me in for some tea and we talked for hours .   cutout in lutcher 2
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: another cutout in lutcher
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 01:30:29 am »
I enjoyed this video very much Schawee. I watch and learn and see how you cut out the frames. I can also see that you were very hot indeed.

Very nice of you to help out this older women and also to spend some time with her, which is even more important.

Thanks
Annette

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 04:00:06 am »
What a good man Schawee! And in 102F heat too!

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 07:43:43 am »
Good job on that one, easy to get to also.

Man that was a huge comb hanging there.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 04:54:07 pm »
Great job showing how to cut out comb.   Very good video Schawee.   Just one tool you need to add to your toolbox.   A box fan. 

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 09:24:56 pm »
Nice!! A sit down cut out!!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 10:44:12 pm »
Man, that's some purdy white comb, how long ya figure it's been there...a couple of weeks? Good job Bro!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 09:27:36 am »
You make it look so easy!

Great Video!

Larry

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:34:57 am »
I believe you cut the queen at 2:10  :-D saw you get stung on the forearm at 4:16  :-D what's up with all the huffin' and puffin'?  :-D

I'm glad you're getting the hang of editing and such, just need to keep those batteries charged buddy!  ;)

Can't recall what you said on this one, you got the queen right?

What did you do with the walking stick?

Schawee got a new girlfriend folks! Woo hoo!  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 02:41:31 pm »
I tell you what, Jp and Schawee make some of the best videos out there. Im not sure what is better the video it self, the narration, or the comments between the two. I bet all these videos have helped so many people!

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 03:17:04 pm »
Such a great video - it's always such a good learning experience to watch you or you and JP.

Linda T

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 11:37:10 pm »
thank yall for the kind words on this video.allen a fan would have worked out great.jp you were right , at 4:16 i did get poped on the arm and it was the only one and the walking stick walked right out the door.         ....schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 11:40:24 pm »
scott ,they had brood that hatched and had very young larve  in the hatched cells so i would say they been there about 3 to 4 weeks
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 07:28:13 am »
I learned a lot from this video, Schawee...I learned how important it is to square off the ends of the comb before cutting. And it impresses me how deliberate you are as you measure, square off, cut, and rubber band each section. The nicely-paced rhythm of comb removal shows up great here.

It's gotta be a little odd to remove bees alone while also filming...I mean, you're alone, but you've got a delayed group of friends watching you work. So, you have these little conversations with the camera as if those friends are right there with you...and yet we get to enjoy those little grunts and mutterings we all make when we're working alone.

Does having a video camera make it feel as if you've got company?

-Liz

P.S. I would LOVE to have a wash house.
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 09:04:08 pm »

P.S. I would LOVE to have a wash house.

To have to carry loads of laundry out to the washer, heat of summer, cold of winter, and on the wettest of the rainiest days?   

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 11:24:02 pm »
liz,glade you liked the video.i new this was going to be a good video because of the location of the hive.placing the camera as close as i did is like having whoever is watching there with me. as for the wash shed ,i remember when i was a lil kid and having to go and get the laundry and bring it in the house ,like allen said in the rain,cold heat or whatever .i like the laundry room in the house :-D     .
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 07:37:13 am »
liz,glade you liked the video.i new this was going to be a good video because of the location of the hive.placing the camera as close as i did is like having whoever is watching there with me. as for the wash shed ,i remember when i was a lil kid and having to go and get the laundry and bring it in the house ,like allen said in the rain,cold heat or whatever .i like the laundry room in the house :-D     .

I like out buildings. Don't know why. I get outside in all that weather anyway, so why not? A wash shed and a clothesline sounds perfect to me. I'm planning an outhouse, too. Seriously. My friends shake their heads about it.

About the bees, though...I'm still trying to get comfortable with handling the bees without gloves. Once I get stung on the hand, though, I put my gloves back on. I wish I would learn to scrape the stinger out and keep moving as if nothing happened...I haven't yet tried to hold a comb filled with bees and secure it with rubber bands into a frame.

What's the suggestion? Just brave up and do it?

I plan to take a queen rearing workshop in New Mexico this summer, and we have to work without gloves. I'm trying to get used to it as fast as I can so I don't look like a wimp.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 12:25:52 am »
liz ,i was just like that,suited up with gloves but the more i worked with the bees the the more confidence i became.working with jp helped alot and he showed me how to handle the bees.slow movements and alot oftenc patience .if you look at some of the videos when he's moving his fingers he's sliding his fingers very slowly and moving the bees out of the way.i know one day you will be able to do it too.    ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 10:32:36 pm »
liz ,i was just like that,suited up with gloves but the more i worked with the bees the the more confidence i became.working with jp helped alot and he showed me how to handle the bees.slow movements and alot oftenc patience .if you look at some of the videos when he's moving his fingers he's sliding his fingers very slowly and moving the bees out of the way.i know one day you will be able to do it too.    ...schawee

Thanks, Schawee. You and JP are great encouragers.

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 12:36:08 pm »
One of the best cutout vids I've seen.  Hive location, camera placement, finesse everything.  I did my first cutout last weekend, underneath a bay window with barely enough clearance for my head.  Ugly brute force.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 05:54:51 pm »
bix ,did you get pics or videoed the cutout.    schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 08:22:50 pm »
No, unfortunately I did not.  But it was a big pain...the colony was underneath a bay window.  There barely enough room for my head to squeeze between the bay window and the ground.  Getting my hands into the colony was even more difficult...schmootz dropping into my eyes.  Ugh! It was not pretty, but we got it done and the colony is relocated and doing well.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 01:52:57 pm »
Absolutely a first class video and cut out job.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 09:48:41 pm »
thanks  yockey5
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

anything