Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Local nucleus? RI  (Read 3135 times)

Offline drlang94

• New Bee
Local nucleus? RI
« on: November 25, 2015, 09:40:24 am »
I have been thinking ahead to the hive or 2 that I plan to start next year and would like to find a nucleus preferably raised locally. I am located in RI on the Connecticut boarder. Any suggestions on where to get one?

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Local nucleus? RI
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 02:06:06 pm »
Craigslist maybe? Better yet do a google search and find a local bee club to buy from them. The hives I sell comes with all the training you want - at my place (sometimes yours).
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 07:24:31 pm »
Since you have all winter to prep, instead of paying $130 or more why not make up a couple of swarm traps and catch a few hives. A deep nuc makes a good swarm trap.

Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 10:30:40 pm »
sawd
I had out 12 swarm traps this year and got not swarms.  I will try again next year but am not holding my breath. 
gww
Ps  I did see your vidio of your catch though.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 11:48:41 pm »
GWW,
Did you keep refreshing the LGO?
What setup did you use.
I like to have one drawn frame on one side or the other and foundationless in between.
It is possible you have the only honey bees in the area.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 12:42:42 am »
saw
I did not refresh very often.  I put a Qtip in a plastic bag.  I put a drop or two on a few of them every so often but not regular.  I did not see a bee look at the traps except very very early in the spring.  Like the first few days that the bees could fly.  Some people have bees around me but I don't know them and I don't have any yet.  I had a late nuc but almost killed it with open feeding and robbing and the guy took it back so he could use his other hives to try and save it.  I will have a nuc come late spring. 

I have had equiptment for two years now but was willing to try and see if I could trap before buying.  I didn't order an early package last year cause I didn't want to drive 80 miles to get it.  I am cheap enough that I can't make myself give $350 or so for something that I might kill or might fly off.  I did pay $200 for the bees I had and did almost kill them. 

I figure I am ahead cause I will still get a nuc but will have to watch it cause unless I catch a swarm I will only have one hive so can't share resources between them.  I put a quartered frame of old comb in the traps cause I only had two frames of old comb and split them between twelve traps.  I had 6 medium foundationless frames in each trap.  Most of the traps were the size of a deep hive box with a one inch hole in them.  If I catch anything I will cut the traps down to medium and use them as supers.  Thats the plan anyway.
Advice is always welcome.
Thanks
gww

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 11:15:25 am »
GWW-where in Missouri are you??
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 11:28:49 am by rober »

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 12:35:08 am »
Rober
I am in rosebud mo, I believe I talked to you on the phone about nucs earlier this year.
gww

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 05:56:25 am »
I recommend you use a smaller box for your traps. Try a deep nuc or a medium.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 09:47:37 am »
GWW-sent you a pm
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 04:18:28 am by rober »

Offline drlang94

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 10:31:07 am »
A swarm trap sounds like a good idea I'll have to build one or two and try that out. I found a few nuc options around me on google, craigslist won't be helpful until closer to spring.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 01:32:34 pm »
sawd
Jim
Funny you should mention smaller.  I had added skirts to my mediums to make them bigger base on the study that "Leakie" (I think) did.  I then just built deeps with the intention to cut them down.  I had gotten lots of advice that said 40 liters.  Would have been easier to leave my mediums medium.  I will try both sizes next year. 
Thank you
gww

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 03:27:54 pm »
Tom Seeley did a study in NY state that said a Langstroth deep body was the size most attractive to swarms.  They need to be high, and just inside the tree line, and with a small bottom entrance.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 05:03:24 pm »
Tom Seeley did a study in NY state that said a Langstroth deep body was the size most attractive to swarms.  They need to be high, and just inside the tree line, and with a small bottom entrance.

Tom Seeley could probably catch a swarm in a shoebox if he wanted to.  The rest of us have to make do with what he finds is optimum.   :cool:
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 11:28:52 pm »
In my post I ment seely not "leaky".  Just shows my brain is on its way out.
Cheers
gww

Offline ggileau

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 09:09:51 pm »
I have been thinking ahead to the hive or 2 that I plan to start next year and would like to find a nucleus preferably raised locally. I am located in RI on the Connecticut boarder. Any suggestions on where to get one?

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Full Bloom Apiaries has a great reputation. His name is Alan Holmberg. He raises carnivals open bred queens. I've spoken with him a couple of times and is extremely helpful. He is in Lebanon CT not real far from you
"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 09:22:20 am »
sawd
Jim
Funny you should mention smaller.  I had added skirts to my mediums to make them bigger base on the study that "Leakie" (I think) did.  I then just built deeps with the intention to cut them down.  I had gotten lots of advice that said 40 liters.  Would have been easier to leave my mediums medium.  I will try both sizes next year. 
Thank you
gww

My first year with swarm traps, I used deep 5-nucs. I caught a few swarms, probably about the size of a football. This year, I also used some that were a full deep. I caught some swarms the size of a football. One that was larger. I did have a good-size swarm move into one of my 5-frame nuc traps. I let them stay in place for a couple of days to get settled. Evidently, it wasn't big enough for them after-all. They left.

With a larger box, you will catch larger swarms, and you will also catch smaller swarms who believe they can work with the space. With a smaller box you will catch smaller swarms, but run the very real risk that a larger swarm will not move in, for lack of room.

The best option, if you can do it, is to put both sizes out in each location. You may catch the primary swarm in the large box, then catch the first secondary swarm in the smaller box. If you are close to a "honey tree," it wouldn't br a bad idea to put several boxes out. Last swarm season, I was called for a primary swarm, but got their too late. The next week, I got another call from the same folks. When I got there, it was a secondary swarm on a fence. I looked up and saw another swarm coming out of a tree a hundred yards away. You know I will have at least 2 or 3 traps set up over their next season. At least one large box, and probably two nucs.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 11:03:37 am »
I've had poor luck using nucs as swarms traps in the big picture.  Yea I trap them on occasion, but few and far between.  I'll be trying double deep nucs this year to see if I can be more successful.  I'm plenty successful capturing swarms I'm called about in 5 frame nucs ( with a drawn frame with open larva) but not trapping them.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline drlang94

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 12:54:52 pm »

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:43:37 pm by drlang94 »

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 01:41:04 pm »
If you're interested in local bees, I recommend contacting local clubs and get their recommendations:

http://ctbees.com/contact/

http://ribeekeeper.org/

anything