Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Council Inspection  (Read 11506 times)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Council Inspection
« on: September 29, 2010, 06:19:42 am »
I have the council comming over tomorow morning to make sure I comply with the regs after the neighbour complained about bees swarming into her property.  :roll: I explained to the council that the bees were not necessarily mine as the guy 2 door down from her also has italian bees. Close enough for them to have been his. As soon as I got home that night I did the good beekeeper thing and went around and collected the swarm in the dark, just so there was no problem with the neighbour. It just wasn't enough for them. I guess the bad blood is just too entrenched between us! I would normally offer a bit of honey, but I don't think they would accept it from me anyway.

I don't think there will be any real problem with the council in the end as I comply with the code of practice to the letter.

Offline Pete

• House Bee
Re: Council Inspection
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:48:48 am »
ahhh. I dont envy you. Some people are just miseries.

I have 1 acre but it back onto all the regular houses. On GF day i went over and said hey dont jump the fence to get your ball etc (i dont like people coming over my fence anyway) cos i have some bees. Come and get me and its no probs for me to get the ball. I had honey for them. They took the honey, said something about being allergic and made some noises and went back inside. No thanks or anything...i KNOW its going to be a hassle one day.

I made sure and said if they get any bees issues, cos bees will normally swarm round here anyway, come and get me and i will sort it out...(as if to say its a bonus for them having me as their neighbour :) ) I honestly wish i hadnt bothered to try and do the right thing.

My hives are 2 m from his fence instead of 3. But they also face away and i have 10ft trees between hives and fence and half the limit for hives on this land. How much land and hives do you have?

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 07:23:47 pm »
It's something to do with the nature of city dwellers fellas. Dont have those sorts of problems in the bush. People I farm my hives out to get stung but dont carry on and also get to enjoy some of there own local nectar.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 08:54:52 pm »
Well, I guess you put a hog pen in the back yard and open up a shooting range for all your friends with guns to come over and shoot at 6:00 Saturday morning.   See if they complain about the bees after that.   Don't forget to buy a loud motorcycle that needs a lot of work on it.  (with the muffler missing)

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:46:24 pm »
 Don't forget to buy a loud motorcycle that needs a lot of work on it.  (with the muffler missing)

Yeah umm...got motorbikes and we used to use the paddock as a track while we were building and it was messy anyway...oh and we got a bobcat in and built a 5m tabletop jump...but...no broken mufflers :)

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 11:56:43 pm »
Does your council have something like this?
http://www.mornpen.vic.gov.au/page/imageThumbnail.asp?C_Id=2737&preview=

Mine doesnt have bees on it, but DPI says 10 hive on an acre in Vic.
http://www.beekeepers.org.au/becoming_a_beekeeper.html (cant find the dpi link)

My question is, why are council inspecting if its governed by DPI? Maybe ask for copy of council policy and jurisdiction before giving them access.

My council only mentions bees as pest and refers to DPI http://www.mornpen.vic.gov.au/page/page.asp?Page_Id=87&h=0

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 02:33:42 am »
Code of Practice

Don't forget to buy a loud motorcycle that needs a lot of work on it.  (with the muffler missing)
Now that's one I like!

The local council web site has almost nothing on bees. I have spoken to one of the DPI inspectors and also a beekeeper who was on the panel who drew up the code and associated beekeeping legislation. It is all very vague. As I understand it the livestock contol act 1994 in regards to bees was brought about because the councils were banning bee hives in their area and there was an outcry from people with fruit trees not being polinated.

A friend of ours was considering keeping bees but were told by their council that they are not allowed to keep bees at all. I asked the DPI inspector about this and he said that if the council has banned them having bees then they can't have bees, but there seemed like there could be some sort of loophole which he did not go into. The answer to the same question of the keep who was on the panel also was somewhat vague about the restriction, but thought they could probably keep bees.

Anyway the council wanted to inspect the hives to make sure they complied to the code of practice, which they do at the moment. That took all of 5 seconds. They did talk to me regarding using queen excluders to manage swarms and adding an extra super or a 'half super'. His recommendations showed only a very rudimentary knowledge of beekeeping and swarm control.

He suggested that I find a different location to keep the bees in the garden that is not so obvious to the next door neighbour. I explained the impracticalities of doing that and the longshot was that were going to put fence extenders on to raise the height of the fence by another 1/2 m or so.

Hmmm motor bike with no muffler Hmmm  :evil:

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 02:39:08 am »
I had a hive on the roof of my townhouse - i got a letter from the body corporate asking me to get rid of it - they said i should be considerate of my neighbours etc. Given that the thing was on the roof of a second storey i don't think they were going to dive bomb anybody and sting them! I'm glad though that they didnt see the other one that i had on the roof at the back or the one sitting on my back porch  :-D

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 02:44:38 am »
If you don't mind building something out of the ordinary you could probably hide them in some interesting places.  ;)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 03:11:27 am »
If you don't mind building something out of the ordinary you could probably hide them in some interesting places.  ;)

Absolutely! i'd thought of putting one in our evaporative cooling pod on our roof hahahah...

Glad to hear things went well with the council inspection mate! some people just don't understand bees or what they're about! it's sad

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 11:47:43 am »
I don't think it is the last I'll hear about this though. I expect the neighbour to complain more. She hates dogs (we have a couple of those) she hates chickens (we have a couple of those too), she does like cats (we don't have any of those) and now I know she doesn't like bees either.  :roll:

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 09:29:25 pm »
I don't think it is the last I'll hear about this though. I expect the neighbour to complain more. She hates dogs (we have a couple of those) she hates chickens (we have a couple of those too), she does like cats (we don't have any of those) and now I know she doesn't like bees either.  :roll:

If push comes to shove i have a yard that you can keep them at... kinda defeats the purpose you're trying toa chieve by having them there but atleast it will stop the complaints

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 01:03:57 pm »
My wife overheard her on the phone this morning making a complaint to another government body.

Here are some of the highlights:

Environmental department please
I want to make a complaint about some bees. That man next door has bees and the hive is hard up against my fence.
They came out here yesterday to speak to him, but he still hasn't moved them!
Yes it's about that high.
They're flying up and over my rooftop.
[pause] But they then fly straight down into my garden. [pause] Well yes, I accept that I would have bees in my garden, but there are so many of them! My children have to push their bikes right by them in the flowers!
There were lots of bees hanging on a branch of one of my trees.
[Pause] He came around that night and did something to take them away. But he didn't say a word to us! [pause] They were quieter the next day but now they're back again!
And there's such a dreadful noise comming from the other side of the fence!
There are all of these dopey bees on my decking!
[ed: and I thought I was breeding bashfull bees! She's just lucky they weren't grumpy bees. May be my girls have discovered one of the neighbours growing dope in a back yard and are stoned! Is there such thing as THC honey?]
I've asked him realy nicely to move them away from my fence but he hasn't done it!
[ed: hah! That note does not constitute asking nicely.] He has a huge garden he could put them anywhere other than against my fence. [pause]. We walk down that side. [pause] It wouldn't be a problem if it was on the other side as we don't really use it. [pause] I wouldn't mind if they're moved a little bit every day.

One thing I forgot to mention about the talk with the council, apparently they were described to them as 'killer bees'. The council guy made an observation that the bees are obviously fairly docile as he saw me walk straight up to the hives with no concerns.

The bees are in her garden because she has the second biggest echium I have ever seen in the middle of it (in flower). Not to mention the rosemary which is in flower, or the other flowering plants of which I can't remember the name of. OMG! Who would have ever guessed that all of these bees would come into the garden just because she had put these plants in?

I don't know who she was talking to on the phone but it sounded like they new something about bee behaviour and the code of practice. (the DPI?) I'm sure though I'm going to get another card in the letterbox from a government dept. wanting to inspect my hives to make sure I comply with all of the regs.  :roll:

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 03:27:42 pm »
Just tell your neighbor to get rid of their flowers.   Then your bees would not be over there working, and getting in the way of her children.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 04:19:40 pm »
How insensitive of her to plant bee attracting flowers when there are kids around! She should be reported.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 04:40:54 pm »
If they take her kids away, then there would be no problem.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 06:32:27 pm »
Apart from the dogs and chickens I dont think she likes you Phil.
Hang in there mate.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2010, 10:11:01 pm »
Increase your hive numbers, fast. Then when they come to inspect and ask you reduce them they can report that you have halved the number of hives. She complains, they inspect and issue instruction and you comply. Bureaucracy in action.

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 06:15:08 am »
Had a neighbour like that a long time ago. Winging, whining sad thing that she was. I nicknamed her "Mrs Cockroach" because of her peeping behaviours. I forgot to explain to my children about when not to point at her and introduce her as :evil: Mrs Cockroach to some of their primary school friends. Life never got any better with her until she moved some years later.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 11:35:03 am »
 :'( You guys just bring a tear to my eyes.

I used up my last nuc on friday capturing a swarm outside of my front gate. And today while I was desperately trying to build some more boxes, another swarm lands in the neighbour's front yard. This one cannot possibly be mine as my italians are stretched so thin between all of their swarms that they would have had to merge a couple of the swarms to come up with this numbers. I reckon it was the guys bees from 3 houses down. (atleast that is what I told the neighbour. I don't think it was too far from the truth) I captured them anyway as he was away for the weekend. While I was thinking that was nice and easy I can get back to building boxes I find a swarm 2 houses down from me in the front yard about 4m up. Oh crap, there goes trying to get into the caucasian's box and making sure they dont swarm! They just did.

If these bees don't stop swarming I'll never get to open the boxes to stop them swarming. The council are going to love this.

And to make things really interesting, a friend of mine who I got hooked into keeping bees and only recently gave him his first 2 hives, called to say he's got 2 swarms that have just landed, help!

It never just rains, it has to swarm!