Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Council Inspection  (Read 11506 times)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: Council Inspection
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 11:56:45 pm »
Current tally, 4 swarms in my immediate vacinity, 4 at my friends. They can't have all come from the managed hives...

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 01:56:14 pm »
Aliens.  I'd blame the aliens.    :-D 

A swarm will land in the same location as an earlier swarm because of all the swarm scent left there.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 08:47:05 pm »
Aliens.  I'd blame the aliens.    :-D 

a swarm will land in the same location as an earlier swarm because of all the swarm scent left there.

I'm sorry to have to say this, bit I think you're missing the point here. The real reason why the bees like swarming in the neighbours garden is that they can smell the fear!!!  :evil:

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 08:49:13 pm »
So you put on your little green suit late at night, and go spreading swarm lure all over the neighbors yard?   

Don't forget her flower garden.   :-D

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 08:05:48 am »
Curious how this has panned out?

My neighbours have decided that my bees are a big problem...one of them got stung and they want me to move them...trouble is they are in the best place for my yard.

I have agreed to do something...just not sure what? One hive is quite hot and its 1 of 3 that are going this week... reducing me to 4 and this will be my max for the yard from now on. So other than reducing the numbers, i am not sure what i can do.

Fence extenders might be an options, but not sure if this will keep them out of their yard...now matter where i move them I cant stop them from going into their yard.

I am sympathetic, if you dont like bees and you have lots in your yard it would be annoying so i want t sort it out...but in a way that works for everyone.

any ideas?

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 10:23:22 am »
The neighbour is still complaining, I just don't know who it was she spoke to last week.

The council inspector called me during the week and my thought was oh s#!^ what has the neighbour done this time! But no, it was the council guy calling to say "please, please come and save the special school from this nasty swarm in their car park!"

It was a request I just couldn't refuse! Gotta keep on the good side of the council officer! By the time I got there the swarm had gone.

What was the neighbour doing when they got stung? When you say a lot of bees in their yard, what are they there for?

Do you comply with the code of practice?

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 10:24:11 pm »
The Code requires beekeepers to:
manage colonies to prevent or minimise swarming
capture swarms that have left a colony they own
provide water on the property where the bees are located if they don’t have access to water
The above i am doing or have done. I have 20m2 pond 10m from the bees.

maintain colonies located in urban areas with young docile queens
This i havent done, but i am getting rid of the hottest hive and the next to learn in beekeeping is re queening.
store used hive components not housing bees in such a way that bees cannot gain entry to it
prevent or minimise activities of robber bees
observe hive density limits for properties in urban areas
Everything is stored in my shed, nothing lying around. I can have 10 hives, currently have 7 and will reduce to 3 (maybe 4?)
ensure bee flight paths don’t interfere with neighbouring land
place hives greater than 3 metres from a property boundary fence. This does not apply if a bee proof barrier, not less than 2 metres high, is situated on the boundary fence line adjacent to the hives. a bee proof barrier is not required where the adjoining property to that fence is unimproved land.

I have the fence in question, 3m trees and then the hives. The hives would be 2m from fence. but the tree line is dense, no bees will fly through. The path of most of the bees is in the exact opposite direction from him so any bees in his yard are lost or getting water...heading over today so he can show me what he means.

I have been doing some hive removals from possum boxes into hives etc that gets a few bees flying...i will either do that in a different spot or not when they are home :)

EDIT: i went over and looked from his backyard...the bees do fly straight over my 3m trees, but then they fly straight down into his yard. they are getting quite a few, they have a small yard with no flowers (seriously, no flowers) and bees seem to fly down into their yard and then over the fence to neighbors, whose yard is quite similar to theirs. He does have quite a few bees, maybe not enough to be legitimately unhappy, but its not super warm here today either. He says they crank right up when it gets warm. I have asked him to let me know next time and i will check it out.

I will look for a better place in my yard...further from him and see how it goes.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:39:50 am by Pete »

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 07:51:33 am »
Good luck with the hive relocation. Don't forget to either move them bit by bit or move at night and cover the entrance with twigs, branches or the like.

Had the other council officer call me yesterday to help a little old Italian widow out. Her husband had captured a swarm and put it in a box on top of their chook shed. He them passed away leaving the bees sitting there for the last 3 years untouched and in a part chip board constructed box that is about twice the length of a normal. One of the neighbours had complained to the council and she said that she can't do anything about them, which is when I got the call.

The chip board is disintigrating and it is going to be fun to relocate. I am going to have to treat it like a cut out as I'm worried if I try to pick up the box it will fall apart on me. I'm also worried that if I climb up on the shed roof to get at the bees, it will give way.

Where's a nice light person like OzBuzz when you need him? On a jolly overseas, unfortunately. It could take a while to get something to put them in as that shortage of bee boxes continues. Container of parts comming over from NZ next week...maybe.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 03:44:51 am »
Just spoke to the council again. The chook shed bees have swarmed into the complaining neighbour's back yard!

They always know the best people to visit, don't they?  :-D

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 07:01:53 am »
That's funny.  :-D

I dont care if my neighbours get any swarms now. I have done the right thing and have moved all my bees to anther spot in my yard about 50m away and in between a high fence and a row of 3m trees. Hopefully this is now sorted...

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 09:46:07 am »
i went over and looked from his backyard...the bees do fly straight over my 3m trees, but then they fly straight down into his yard.

So what you're saying is that the bees were getting so tired flying over the 3m high trees, they had to stop in the neighbours yard for a siesta?  :) What lazy bees!

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 11:18:47 pm »
Good luck with the hive relocation. Don't forget to either move them bit by bit or move at night and cover the entrance with twigs, branches or the like.

I moved em and i covered em with branches, not just a few but heaps. Still after 3 days the bees are going back to the old spot, and there is LOTS of bees going there. Is there much i can do?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 11:33:44 pm »
The bees that are left behind will be dead in a few days.  Their days are running out.

You can always scoop them up and dump them in the hives.

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 09:28:48 pm »
I moved em 17+ days ago and i think they have self split their hive. I have around a small basketball sized swarm under the board i used to keep the hive on and the hive in its new spot is pretty quiet...havent checked if this clump is making comb yet...they look pretty active from a distance.

I will lift it up tonight and scoop the bees into a box and shake them into the hive...but i think they will fly back. :? I will make sure there is no shelter...but i dont really want a split right now, i have enough bees.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 01:24:29 am »
I had this same thing happen to me earlier this year...the queen just didn't like the box so started building under the bottom board.

I scooped them up and moved them to another yard in a different box and it worked.

Had a different cut out that had two queens...one took up in the box, the other underneath. I'll have to do another cut out on them as they now have 5 combs built.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything