Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When and how to cut comb?  (Read 2100 times)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
When and how to cut comb?
« on: November 29, 2005, 05:22:09 pm »
I know this is a weird time of year to ask this question,,, but I would like to get it answered if possible and you all are a heck of a lot smarter and more experienced than I.

I use melted beeswax in top bar grooves for my bees to start drawing comb. I have some frames in the bottom box that need to be cut back (or out?) because it is a little crooked. none of the top super has been drawn out. When do I cut it and do I cut it back or out? Is it just the part that is catching the surrounding frames or do I cut out most of the wax in the frame? comb is right now full of nectar, honey and pollen with more still coming in.

Thanks!!!
David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 05:42:54 pm »
Cutting is not necessary. Somethimes when combs are badly curved I turn the frame and put thick parts against each other and bees open themselves proper gap. They move first the honey. It straingtens. They use part of wax to build combs.

Normally I straigten combs when I extract honey.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 09:17:19 pm »
Here, now, it's way to cold to mess with comb. It will be brittle.  If it's empty (so it's light) and it's warm (so it bends instead of breaks) you can cut the ends loose and push it back into a straight line.  The bees will reattach it.  If it's full and heavy (and it's warm enough) you can just cut the ends off and put it between some straight capped comb for the bees to fill it in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin