Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa and Shade  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Stingtarget

• House Bee
Varroa and Shade
« on: March 12, 2007, 10:53:22 am »
Getting ready to pollinate apples for a friend first part of April.  While hives are gone from yard I'd like to move my electric fence to a larger area getting ready for expansion of 2 more hives.  Considering running fence around a small stand of young maple trees.  I've been told by a veteran beekeeper that his hives have been more prone to Varroa in shady areas and he now keeps his hives in full sun.He has 80 or so hives.  Anyone else heard of this?  Seems like the shade would help in the summer and the deciduous trees would lose their leaves to allow for some sun in the winter. What are some thoughts?

Offline Billy The Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • My Strong Hive
Re: Varroa and Shade
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 11:44:55 am »
Ive never heard of it, but most of the time veterans know what they talkin about. Hopefully u figure it out and have a good year Goodluck  :-D                       :mrgreen:
Experienced BeeKeeper :D

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 01:39:25 pm »
I've heard full sun is over all better.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 10:58:39 pm »
My bees always seem to do better in full sun.  I like working them better in the shade.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Beaches Bee-Haven Apiary

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 09:21:04 pm »
I've got three out of five hives in the shade, and they've got more SHB in them than the two in full sun. I'm debating moving them into full sun, but like Micheal Bush says, I like them in the shade! :)

-Nathanael 8-)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 01:59:47 am »
    State Inspector told me better sun all the time.  The ones in full sun in morning and dapple shade in afternoon do better than the ones that get full afternoon shade but not better than the two that get full sun almost all the time.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 04:19:42 am »
Full sun is best.  Sweet band for under the hat is a must.  Work with bare hands as gloves makes the hands sweet.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 11:01:29 am »
Studies on Varroa have shown that slightly lower temperatures increase the Varroa reproduction.  Slightly higher temperatures decrease Varroa reproduction.

My guess is you're friend is correct and he has less Varroa in full sun.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 11:14:19 am »

I like part shade.  Its cooler to work than full sun, also get a better honey crop. The bees don't have to spend as much time cooling the hive.
 I'm not bothered with varroa or small hive beetle.   Charlie

Beaches Bee-Haven Apiary

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 01:38:22 pm »
I'm not bothered with varroa or small hive beetle.   Charlie

Yet

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 02:39:27 pm »
I would guess that varroa mites and small hive beetles know where they are safe and welcome. Take it from me, its not in my bee hives. Therefore
I'm not bothered with either.   Charlie

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 10:42:44 pm »
Like the man said, "yet".
But I do wish you don't get either.
doak