Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: medium frames in an 11" deep swarm box  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Nathan-D

• New Bee
medium frames in an 11" deep swarm box
« on: March 16, 2013, 04:19:35 pm »
 I have a swarm box I was going to use for top bars but it was a perfect length for frames and I had frames handy.  Now I caught my  first swarm, I think (hundreds of bees going in and out with nothing to rob), Here is my  question, the box is about 11" deep and I have medium frames with popsicle sticks for comb guide, the problem is the depth of box.  I want to keep the bees from building comb from the bottom of the bar, is there anything I can put on the bottom to keep them from adding comb?  I was thinking of vaselene.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: medium frames in an 11" deep swarm box
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 05:19:45 pm »
They will fill tyhe void regardless of vaseline on the bottom of the bars.

Offline Nathan-D

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 11:49:24 pm »
thanks. I think I'll keep them where they are for a week then transfer them to a 10 frame medium. If they fill top and bottom full of comb I'll be pretty happy even if I have to cut off the bottom combs and rubber band them in, but I don't think they will build more than 2 combs in a week.

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 01:23:32 am »
thanks. I think I'll keep them where they are for a week then transfer them to a 10 frame medium. If they fill top and bottom full of comb I'll be pretty happy even if I have to cut off the bottom combs and rubber band them in, but I don't think they will build more than 2 combs in a week.

Depends on the size of the swarm. I had some almost fill all five medium frames in a week.
Who Dat!!!

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 01:27:41 am »
I would transfer into a med nuc the day I got them back home. Otherwise it will result in comb on the bottoms of the frame that you have to cut off and throw away or put into frames.
Had done this many times with deep size swarm trap with med frames.  It's a mess.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 11:34:17 am »
If you catch them early there will be no issue.  If you catch them late, you can cut the excess comb off and tie it into frames.  It's pretty easy to manage when you have some frames.  Much easier than if it was just an empty box.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin