Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Available Queens?  (Read 5924 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Available Queens?
« on: April 07, 2005, 11:49:59 am »
Whew!  I've been calling around trying to find a queen for shipping and nobody seems to have anything available right now -- all queens are going into packages.  Anyone know who has queens available for delivery?

-- Kris

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Available Queens?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 12:03:09 pm »
Have you tried Indian Summer?  They do not ship packages and only sell Spring queens.  I have not bought any from them this year,  but was happy with them and their queens last year.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Available Queens?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 12:40:24 pm »
Quote from: Robo
Have you tried Indian Summer?  

They are sold out and only delivering to those who pre-ordered.  

We're beginning our flow now, I'm supposing -- the bees are bringing in lots of pollen, the forsythias and daffodils are in full bloom, and the fruit trees, maples and dandelions should start popping within the next week or so.  I can always let the split raise its own queen, if need be.  Not like I keep a good eye out for the marked queens anyhow.   :)  

-- Kris

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Available Queens?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 02:35:26 pm »
I think you should just go with your original plan.  Your geared up for it, just make it happen. If you don't like the queen they make, order a fall queen.  Fall requeening is a common practice and gets your colony in great shape for winter.  Also helps with spring swarms.  You can feed back extracted honey, or the honey from caps to finish up your sections if necessary.  See "Perfect Sections Every Time" on Dave Cushmans site.  It's a great way to learn many different things about your bees and get more comfortable with them. If you enforce the dresscode.. NO CAMO!!  you can find the queen.  bahahahahahahahaha

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Available Queens?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 06:19:12 pm »
see you can still find a few queens even on ebay, probly to late for what you are dealing with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46527&item=7506431567&rd=1
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Available Queens?
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 04:41:07 pm »
Well, that's what I did -- the original plan.  I found my marked queen, and once I located her, I knew where to look for new eggs, which I found plenty of.  Of course, it took my reading glasses to see them   :oops:    So now I wait a few weeks, just watching them, and see what develops.  Thanks for the advice and tips.

-- Kris

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Available Queens?
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 07:17:42 pm »
So you went ahead with the whole scheme?  Pulled most of the open brood and left the sealed brood with the old colony?  Cut them down and added the comb honey super?   How do they look??  Plenty crowded and forced up?

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Available Queens?
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 10:55:24 pm »
Yes, done as described.  Except for the capped brood, which I split evenly between the two, a couple frames each (didn't know better).  The only uncapped brood I left behind was what was on the back of the frame with the eggs.

When I went in, the queen was in the upper box again, which surprised me.  Both boxes were prety well populated, and so each seemed full when split.  Hopefully full enough.  After they got over their trauma, they resumed their regular activity, and were just as busy coming and going at the old hive as before.  I'll see how it develops over the next few weeks; this is my most serious heavy-duty manipulation yet.

-- Kris

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Available Queens?
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 06:44:53 am »
Sounds like it went pretty well for you.  And you got to do some sorting and planing.  You'll be an old hand at this stuff in no time.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Available Queens?
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 07:37:03 am »
Quote from: thegolfpsycho
You'll be an old hand at this stuff in no time.

Well, old at least!

-- Kris

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Available Queens?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 08:16:36 am »
Wow,  you guys down in NJ are way ahead of us.  Our dandelions haven't even started to bloom yet.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Available Queens?
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 09:34:53 am »
Dandelions, forsythia, many fruit trees, of course hyacinth and daffodil.  All began their blooming this past week.  Spring is here!

-- Kris