Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Check  (Read 2192 times)

Moots

Hive Check
« on: January 12, 2014, 11:14:28 pm »
With temps in the mid 60's and sunshine, I decided to take a peek inside my hives.  I've been having bees flying from all my hives whenever the temps have permitted, so I've felt good about that...However, in recent weeks when lifting one side of most of my hives, I've been very concerned about their weight and thought they might be running out of stores.

So....I check the top box or two of a few of them to either confirm my fears or put my mind at ease.  Much to my surprise, their honey stores still looked significant, along with good bee numbers.  :)

We'll see what the coming weeks bring, but for now I was encouraged and think things look pretty good!

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Hive Check
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:18:48 am »
don't your flows start in a few weeks? 

Moots

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 11:11:58 am »
don't your flows start in a few weeks? 

10framer,
Picked up my first bees a year ago today.  :bee: So, I've officially survived my first year as a Beek.  :-D

The list of things I don't know is still a lot longer than the list of things I do know.  :laugh: So the honest answer is I'm really not sure. I suspect we still may be a little further out than a few weeks, but I'm really not sure.  Hopefully my observations skills, and note taking will be better this year.  Last year I was strictly in the "I CAN'T BELIEVE I HAVE BEES" mode.  :laugh:

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 01:15:25 pm »
red maple should be coming in up here in the next few weeks but the major flows won't get going until march/april.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 01:29:29 pm »
For us northerns guys, tipping the hive to check food weight this time of years doesn't always work.   I dont think I have ever had a starved colony without stores just inches away.  Ideally the colony forms its winter cluster in the center of the bottom box.  Quite often this doesn't happen.  They start out in the very back so as they eat there way to the top, they pass up alot of honey that they will not go back down for.   This is the reason behind candy boards on the top.  Hard candy will keep them alive for alot longer then honey in the same amount of space.   

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 06:05:45 pm »
I looked up the weather forecast for Gonzales, LA. Looks like you're hitting 60s pretty consistently during the day. I would say if you need feeding you can just feed syrup. I think your bees should be rearing brood already and your swarm season should be just around the corner.

Did you notice if they are bringing pollen already? How far out is your main flow? Depending on the answer, you may want to add a pollen sub patty...

Moots

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 06:36:53 pm »
I looked up the weather forecast for Gonzales, LA. Looks like you're hitting 60s pretty consistently during the day. I would say if you need feeding you can just feed syrup. I think your bees should be rearing brood already and your swarm season should be just around the corner.

Did you notice if they are bringing pollen already? How far out is your main flow? Depending on the answer, you may want to add a pollen sub patty...

merince,
Noticed some of my bees bringing in pollen on Christmas Eve...Not sure what it was or where they were getting it, can't say I've really noticed it since then, but we had a stretch of cold weather and I hadn't really spent much time watching them as of late.

(update: just got in from work and spent a couple minutes observing the one small hive I have up by the house...YES, pollen coming in.  :))

Post with Pics of Pollen being brought in on 12/24

If I have to feed, I'll feed syrup, but hoping to avoid it.  Not sure on when our flow will start, I'm thinking March but it seems many others think it's closer.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 07:04:55 pm by Moots »

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 11:35:32 am »
Well, it takes about 6 weeks for eggs to turn into foragers. If you add a patty now and a bit of syrup, you'll be stimulating the queen to lay the bees that will be foragers in the end of February/beginning of March.

I would give them some light syrup and a patty (for about a week) if I were looking at a flow in the end of February/beginning of March in order to get a better honey crop. I have a post on that here: http://www.donnellyfarmsohio.com/2013/10/how-to-maximize-your-honey-production_20.html

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 03:12:08 pm »
Glad to hear that all your ladies are doing good Moots. Figured if i couldnt find time to get on here at home, then maybe i could sneak on at work....lol  :-D   
Marshall

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 10:44:00 pm »
Moots
Maple will start blooming around the last week of January or 1st week of February if we dont get any more real cold weather. In my area the maple bloom really kick starts them into high gear. Next will be the willow trees mid February and then blackberry started end of February last couple years. My hives are already full of brood and bringing in pollen by the tons. I cant believe the beekeeping season is almost here already.
Who Dat!!!

Moots

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 10:59:43 pm »
Moots
Maple will start blooming around the last week of January or 1st week of February if we dont get any more real cold weather. In my area the maple bloom really kick starts them into high gear. Next will be the willow trees mid February and then blackberry started end of February last couple years. My hives are already full of brood and bringing in pollen by the tons. I cant believe the beekeeping season is almost here already.

Gov,
That's all great information and gives me stuff to watch for, thanks for posting. I agree with you, seems like the season has snuck up on me.  I need to dedicate a few weekends to woodenware before it gets here.  :shock:  But I can't wait!  :-D

anything