Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new beekeeper from PA  (Read 3879 times)

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
new beekeeper from PA
« on: May 31, 2008, 06:38:27 pm »
Hi all,  finally after many years of "wanting" to get into beekeeping, Ive finally done it...when I was a kid, my dad had several bee hives and we used to take off the honey.  I remememer very clearly as a little kid going with the super filled to another bee keeper's place to de-cap and spin off the honey.  unfortunatley my dad got away from the bee keeping routine as we got older and now Im back into it  I caught my first swarm this morning and they are hived and I hope doing welll :)  I think Ive even resparked the beekeeper in my dad because now he wants a couple of swarms to hive at his place!

Anyway, Im looking forward to spending some time on here learning a few things from all of you professionals out there!!  On a side note, if anyone hears of a swarm in the pittsburgh area (east suburbs) I'll be glad to take them!

Steve
"wildbeekeeper"

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: new beekeeper from PA
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 07:34:15 pm »
Way to go Steve!
 I like the part where your dad has shown an interest again!
 I kind of think my dad would like doing bees but I feel that dad is planning on NOT planning any new projects in the near future. I think he feels that he doesnt want to leave any loose ends or responsibilities if he checks out :-\
 Welcome to the best forums around!
Theres alot of information here and everybody is nice. Theres even a voice chat where you can TALK to bee people!
Again, welcome back to the bee world, and I hope its everything you've been hoping for!
your friend,
john

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 08:49:37 pm »
thanks john!  Im looking forward to it!  And alos to comparing hives between me and my dad....  thanks for the welcome!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:55:50 pm »
Hey Steve,
Where did you find the bee pic which you have as your avatar?
your friend,
john

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 12:30:36 am »
I did a google search for bees.....I was thinking of using it on my business cards!... its a pretty cool picture!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 12:35:37 am »
Yeh, I like it!
 I was actually considering a bee tattoo and I hadnt run across this picture,.
thanks!
your friend,
john

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 12:54:34 am »
Yeh, I like it!
 I was actually considering a bee tattoo and I hadnt run across this picture,.
thanks!
your friend,
john

Betch cha, if you get a tatoo like his avatar people will asK you if it stings.   Huh?  Wanna bet?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 01:02:09 am »
Oh boy Brian!!!
That made me LAUGH!!!!
your friend,
john

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 10:38:42 am »
that would make a pretty nice tatoo!  hmmmnmmmm...... i wonder if my wife would mind? :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 11:22:20 am »
Steve, welcome to our forum.  You have found THE place to spend some wonderful time, here you will learn, listen and make some new very good friends, we all are one.

Your introduction was beautiful.  Your first swarm caught, yeah!!!!  As a child you recall going with your Father to the beekeeper to get the super extracted, remember those scents of the hive, the warm honey?  The scent of smell is one of the strongest emotional events on earth, it can bring you back in time to many, many, years ago, depending on how old you are, hee, hee!!

That is wonderful that your Father has rejuventated his passion with the honeybee, he has been under their spell, you have been under their spell, it just takes certain events for this to resurface, and it very obviously has.  Enjoy your visits with us, tell us your stories, we love to hear stories and listen with keen interest, and you will find some of us even pretty darn nosey too (hey guys, hee, hee).  Have that most beautiful and wonderful day, lovin' our chance to live a great life on our great planet, Earth.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 01:15:42 pm »
Thanks Cindi!  Ive been sitting down next to my hive on off the past couple of days watching the bees do their thing...there are bees coming and going and a few set up shop at the entrance fanning and what not...I'm fighting the urge to take a peek inside the hive to see what they are doing and to see if they are swtill there but I need to wait a few days I think!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 10:31:57 am »
Steve, your patience will pay off, give the girls a few days to settle in, then look to your heart's content.  This is how we learn about the bees, it is important to know what is going on inside the hive, it makes us better beekeepers.  You will find that as time progresses, and you understand more about what is going on inside their beautiful little kingdom, that you will not need to enter this place as often, only when required.  But during the first couple of years, I would strongly advise to look in as much as you want.  It does set the girls back a little bit by being nosey, but better that than you being kniave about the hive, check 'em out, look and watch.  You will spend hours with these girls, and they will be one of the delights of your life, and the scent from the entrance of the hive will be one that you also never will forget, it is a scent of beauty and pureness, clean, sterile, where you will gather honey, one fine day.  Beautiful and most wonderful day, we all be lovin' and livin' this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service