Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I gots Chix!  (Read 3297 times)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
I gots Chix!
« on: April 04, 2008, 02:24:01 am »
My chicks came today, they are sooo cute!  Couldn't believe what a small box they came in tho, they already look too big to fit!  I got americana, dutch brown leghorns & blk sex link.  There is one really pretty brown one, no stripes, lighter bronze shading on face & no puftys on the cheeks.  It's not like any of the others, excited to see what it turns out like, maybe it's a red sex link?  Amazing how they go in instinct, eating & drinking once I showed em where it was.  One will grab a piece of shaving & run around like "it's mine & you can't have it" as the others chase it.  The cats are very interested in the noise coming from the spare room.  They are not staying in the house for long..messy, messy, messy!!  like the cockatiels, pigs with wings!  Off to check on them again!

Jody 
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: I gots Chix!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 09:08:59 am »
If you have forced air heating the dust will spread through the whole house.  It can be a mess for a long time 

Offline Jingles

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 09:44:25 am »
Ooooo how CUTE!!! Do you have any pictures?

And, yes, a very very fine dust. We kept ours in our basement waaay too long and that dust was EVERYwhere! Ugh!

Love,

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 11:20:00 am »
the dust can also kick in allergies so bewhere!! 

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 12:49:50 pm »
That's great fun. I love it when spring comes around. Baby chicks are a great part of spring.

As for keeping them inside, yes, you will have the biggest mess ever. Last spring I brooded mine in the unfinished bonus room above our garage. They were out by early May or so. My wife told me in September when we were finishing it that she could still smell them. I couldn't but she could.

My new ones this year are in the garage for now, but after only a week and a half are getting so big I will need to split them up into two groups. I do have about 35 chicks, 3 ducks, 3 turkeys, and more on the way.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 06:31:35 pm »
Jody, freakin awesome!!!  I think Amanda and I will be doing the chicken thing next year since I haven't been able to find the time (or money) to make a coop.  If I get something thrown together before pullets are ready then maybe we will go that route.

Lookin forward to seeing you soon when our bees come in!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13