Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Jill's bees (poisoned)  (Read 3168 times)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Jill's bees (poisoned)
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:02:24 am »
 :'( I looked at this job a couple of weeks ago during a tropical storm and set up the removal for when the weather cleared. In the interim her pest control guy who was taking care of her property noticed the bees and took it upon himself to spray them. The owner (Jill) wanted them removed ALIVE! Such a sad day!

Jill's bees.wmv

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Jill's bees (poisoned)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:25:18 am »
Hate that! At least your day ended with you and Peg in the bee yard pulling honey. I bet you hugged 'em extra after that removal, I mean clean up job.  :evil:

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 03:44:59 pm »
Scott, did you toss the comb, or keep it for wax?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:08:49 pm »
Tossed it Allen...didn't want to risk bringing around any of my bees (it still had a good bit of nectar). Besides, it stunk like heck with dead bee smell.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:52:23 pm »
What a shame all the way around.   

Offline SkepWrangler

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:47:04 am »
:...her pest control guy who was taking care of her property noticed the bees and took it upon himself to spray them.
Hi Scott,
Indeed a sad event.
Just FYI, here in Arizona, we have a law to protect bees from agricultural application of pesticides without giving the beekeeper a reasonable chance to remove his hives prior to applying pesticides to nearby crops.
To keep feral hives from like Jill's from getting nuked by Pest Control Operators prior to my arrival, I have made up a little sign that references the law. By emailing the "Notice" to the customer--who then posts it around the colony--we have been able to keep pesticide applicators at bay and save several nice colonies already this year.
"Notice: PESTICIDE FREE ZONE ARIZONA LAW: ARS 3-367.02. " seems to do the job.
Just FYI, and thanks for the video.
SkepWrangler

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 08:51:56 am »
That's a great Idea Skep, however, there are no such laws here. In fact, it's recommended that all feral bees be killed (presumably to stem the advance of AHB).

Scott

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 11:13:10 am »
Knee jerk exterminators, I hate'em.

Offline Lovett

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 11:49:42 am »
I hate to see this happen. To prevent this in my area I have met with the local exterminators and told them to give me a call before spraying honey bees.