Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar Water vs Corn Syrup  (Read 2945 times)

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
Sugar Water vs Corn Syrup
« on: March 07, 2009, 11:06:27 am »
I'm sure you folks have had the debate on whether to feed sugar water or corn syrup, but I am asking you to do it again. I'm very new in the bee world and would like to hear your thoughts. Now, the bee guy that I'm taking instruction from, was saying that genetically altered corn has a pestiside in it. Personally, I have no idea. Secondly, if it doesn't , is it just a matter of personal preference, or cost, or something else?

Thanks for your help,

Leechmann

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Sugar Water vs Corn Syrup
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 11:12:06 am »
Now, the bee guy that I'm taking instruction from, was saying that genetically altered corn has a pestiside in it

That's correct.

I'm sure you folks have had the debate on whether to feed sugar water or corn syrup, but I am asking you to do it again.

I am a few months behind on reading my Bee Culture magazine, but if you are able to, and can look up the September 2008 issue, there's an article on that very subject.  I haven't finished it yet so I can't tell you the conclusion.  For what it's worth, I use sugar.  I hear it is better for the bees.  I don't know why though.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:29:11 am »
Sugar is suppose to be the closest thing to what is ideal for bees and easier for them to convert according to the article I just read.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 05:08:41 pm »
As far as I can see the only advantage to HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) is that you don't have to make the syrup.  The shipping will be cheaper on the white sugar from the store than HFCS.  There are questions about HFCS and shortening the life of bees.  This usually gets blamed on HMF (Hydroxymethyl furfural) content in the HFCS.  But other questions have arisen in recent times with the CCD issues.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Gware

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 07:38:42 pm »
I have used both and not noticed any difference,but many commercial keepers do and they report alot of losses

Offline Pix

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 08:40:07 pm »
I'm curious if there would be an issue with the corn used in the corn syrup being GMO?

Most corn nowadays is from GMO crop. I've heard that people as well as animals, and insects have a harder time digesting this mutated gene.

Offline leechmann

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 10:53:10 pm »
Lots tp think about. I can't see a good reason to use corn syrup.

Thanks everyone

Offline Saltcreek

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 05:21:20 pm »
The USDA Lab at Tuscon,AZ published a study they did 1977. It compaared sugars and determined after tests that "There is no sugar better than pure sucrose" which was as they pointed out meant "pure refined beet and cane sugar". This was reported in the American Bee Journal Feb 1977 issue. A link to this report is -
http://www.beesource.com/pov/usda/abjfeb1977.htm

Offline Cossack

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 05:26:19 pm »
Stick with sugar water. Its easier for them to convert.

I had a dream last night, I was eating a 10 pound marshmallow. I woke up this morning and the pillow was gone.....

anything