Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What outside temp is ok to check bees in winter?  (Read 19616 times)

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
Re: What outside temp is ok to check bees in winter?
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 07:32:14 pm »
If the bees cluster, I would say the Heat is from with in" Radiate out"
If that is so ,Wouldn't matter much at all to take a look. If
You didn't draw a draft and chill the outside Bees, even then
If the Heat is from the Center Mass the bees are heated Like
A man if Front of a Radiator
Is there any Documented info on Center Temp
I would love to set a Prob into one and record the heat Changes

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 05:16:05 am »
There is a guy in canada who winters two frame nucs and moves them into bigger nucs or adds frames of honey in march when still below or just above freezing.

In atlanta if you are just putting bags on top to feed them as long as its not windy, not below freezing, and the sun is shining, I would not be scared to open them and throw the bag on.  But im from Wisconsin and we wear shorts and t-shirts in weather that you guys wear long johns, stuffed jackets, gloves, hat and a scarf.  Just kidding but true.

I had a friend who I worked construction with after we grew up who had a mother in atlanta and his papa up here and days that I thought was perfect working weather in a long sleeve shirt he said you folks down there would be bundled up like you going to freeze to death.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 09:03:43 am »
Overall survival rate after third winter (in 4th now) experimenting with both opened and closed SBB Langs is better than 50%.  I've averaged between 3 and 7 colonies over last five years.  I don't know what to make of it and frankly I haven't done this long enough to form any definite conclusions, but those that survive w/out a bottom do seem to build up fast and strong in spring according to my notes, when compared to those that were closed.  The bees are the only experts.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline beewitch

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 10:13:06 am »
bee-nuts - we're freezin' to death down here today!  (this morning wind chill about 14).  I have ALL my heavy gear on. :-P
My southern bees are saying "what happened???"

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 10:19:05 am »
We had 4 at 6AM.  That's not wind chill.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 10:34:47 am »
And in the summer, when you are hiding inside in the air conditioning...... we are sitting on the porch in the shade, drinking ice tea.   :-D
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 11:16:31 am »
31 @ 6:00am this morn...BRRR!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 11:51:45 am »
When I transported snakes in winter, I would wear a T-shirt only. When I was comfortable in the car, the snakes would be, too.

Work your bees in T-shirt and veil. Then you will know if it's too cold, and how long to stay in them.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 12:25:28 pm »
Why in the h..ll would anyone transport SNAKES??????

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 12:35:15 pm »
Euphemism, Iddee used to chauffeur for the Chippendales :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 12:42:46 pm »
Euphemism, Iddee used to chauffeur for the Chippendales :-D

Scott
And he looked darn good in that T-shirt!   :-D
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 02:51:22 pm »
If your Place looks like this
NOT Good Time IMHO :-D
Tommyt

"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline winginit

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 08:36:37 am »
Hey that's my house! Well not quite, we're up to the double digits around here. 10 degrees. Really early for such a cold snap, though we get colder in January.

In Fall, 40 seems cold, but by February, 40 is warm. Actually, I think 40 would seem warm today.

Since August, I've noticed my wild birds going wild over bird seed, eating it maybe 10 times faster than normal. Anyone else notice that? I've been worried that it's a sign of a cold winter, but we had a bad drought round these parts, so maybe there just ins't enough food in the wild. Or perhaps my neighbors have stopped feeding!