Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Virgin Queen questions or problems?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline 2bornot2b

• New Bee
  • still learnin.....
Virgin Queen questions or problems?
« on: June 19, 2009, 07:23:54 am »
After losing our marked queen in one of our nucs, we started putting frames of brood into the hive from our stronger hive.  We immediately purchased a new marked queen.  I put her in, checked, and she was released in 3 or so days.  Waited a few more days and I couldnt find her.  BUT I did find a new unmarked queen.  I'm guessing that I missed the queen cell and when I introduced the new queen she was immediately killed because there was a new queen there already. 
Since I have found the new unmarked queen, it has been about 5 days.  I checked and I havent found any eggs of yet.  We have a ton of rain here so could it be that the queen hasent yet taken her mating flight do to the weather?  Or am I just rushing this???   I read last night that if a queen doesnt mate in a few weeks, she will lose the urge, still mate and only rear drones?? Looking back on my notes, it seems there has only been about 2 or 3 weeks or so since we found this problem.  Should I take another frame of brood from my stronger hive to keep the hive going?  If so, should the frame consist of capped brood or eggs?

Thanks for the help

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: Virgin Queen questions or problems?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 04:21:15 pm »
If she doesn't start to lay 14 to 16 days after emergence you have a problem.  It sounds to me like you suspect that she has just emerged within the last 8-10 days.  I would wait another 8-10 days and check for eggs.  If none add a frame of eggs and start the process all over.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 06:38:39 pm »
if she doesn't start laying in a week or two I would leave her and purchase another mated queen, when queen comes in kill the virgin queen and add the new mated queen, (you might want to do this anyway if you didnt have a flow going on at the time), after installing check in about 3-5 day and see how the new queen is and also look for and remove any new queen cells.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:06:37 pm »
I would give up at 21 days after emergence.  In the meantime you can always add a frame of eggs and open brood for insurance.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin