Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WTB Beeworks Queen Rearing video  (Read 4559 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
WTB Beeworks Queen Rearing video
« on: December 23, 2010, 12:23:26 am »
I am wanting to raise my own queens for some splits next year. If anyone has a Beeworks Queen Rearing DVD that may be in need of a new home please PM me. Thanks

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
Re: WTB Beeworks Queen Rearing video
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 03:57:55 am »
 8-)

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 09:50:43 am »
K9, videos are nice but can never really give you all the info like books can. Try "Contemporary Queen Rearing" by Laidlaw for a good read on the subject. Your local club might have a loaner library or even a member that breeds queens that will let you sit in on a grafting.

If you can't find the book I have an extra copy that I'm willing to lend.

If nothing else, I'm sure that Alan Bukley will be giving demonstrations again at Bud3 :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 03:49:36 pm »
K9, videos are nice but can never really give you all the info like books can. Try "Contemporary Queen Rearing" by Laidlaw for a good read on the subject. Your local club might have a loaner library or even a member that breeds queens that will let you sit in on a grafting.

If you can't find the book I have an extra copy that I'm willing to lend.

If nothing else, I'm sure that Alan Bukley will be giving demonstrations again at Bud3 :-D

Scott

Yeah, I talked to Alan a little bit the other day on ventrilo.  I'm planning on making the trip down to the Grizzer Bears this April if the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise  8-)

Ive read that book but I thought that I had read somewhere that the video showed the Nicot system pretty in depth.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 04:08:40 pm »
I can't say...never seen the video :) I dip my own cells and graft into them. I've done some experimentation with wax vs plastic push-in cells and the wax has consistently out performed the plastic. And yes, I've tried spraying the plastic with sugar water, letting the bees clean them for a day, dipping in really hot wax for a very thin coating and still gotten similar results. I'm not saying that you can't make queens with any of the kit "systems" out there but for me, I'd rather not spend the cash...what I do works well for me and seems to be a bit easier than having to go into the hive(s) two or three times just to get the right larvae.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 06:54:03 pm »
I just happen to think about it...

Thanks for the book offer, I really appreciate it.

I'm looking at a copy I checked out from my clubs library now as we speak  :-D