Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winter Time ?  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Winter Time ?
« on: December 09, 2005, 05:28:21 pm »
Just an observation from down under. Seems as the northern winter is approaching posts to the forum have dropped off.
    You must keep up the good information flow for me to read as I have my breakfast.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Winter Time ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 06:11:21 pm »
Hi Geoff,

Actually the traffic usually picks up right about now as most of the northern half of the US gets under snow.

Today we got more than a foot at my house in Andover, Massachusetts.  Tomorrow I'll walk down to the hives and make a hole for the girls to get out on Sunday when temperatures will be back up in the 40's.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Winter Time ?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 06:50:38 pm »
Quote from: Geoff
Just an observation from down under. Seems as the northern winter is approaching posts to the forum have dropped off.
    You must keep up the good information flow for me to read as I have my breakfast.

We are just saving electricity. Oil price is pointing to south east.

Offline Chad S

• House Bee
Winter Time ?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 03:31:05 pm »
Geoff,

Sorry I haven't kept up with posting here.  Things a re pretty quiet right now I live in Groton MA we got about 14" of Snow on Friday.  It has not been terribly cold, but I would guess the Bees have not been able to bring in store since late October early November.  I have reduced the entrances, and put on mouse gaurds.  The Bees were out on Saturday I saw a few in the snow 100 to 50' from the hives.  I also saw dead bees around the entrances not to many, just enough to let me know they are active.  It's always amazing to see them out when the ground is covered with snow.

Chad

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Winter Time ?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 03:41:11 am »
We've had nights down to 8 degrees farenheit and days not more than 20 degrees.  Couple days ago started to climb up to 51 during day and still freezing at night.  But they are still getting bright orange pollen from somewhere.  Does anyone know if this is goldenrod?  Or what?

Thanks
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)