Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The girls are flying in Michigan.  (Read 4805 times)

Anonymous

The girls are flying in Michigan.
« on: January 23, 2005, 05:00:10 pm »
Carnolions (mostly) and one hive of Itailans are flying today. Another hive of Itailans are hanging around the entrance, coming out and going back in.
Might sound like that is no big deal but my weather station says it is 15F feels like 5F with a variable wind at 7mph.
It is a beautiful sunny day reguardles of the temps.
 :D Al

Offline Finman

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 05:15:20 pm »
I have never met that temperature is -9C / 15F and bees are flying or they hang on entrance?  :shock:

Your weather station is not doing well. :roll:

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 05:32:51 pm »
Your weather station is not doing well.

What does that mean?
Is accrate to + or - 2 degrees F or the company will replace it. Radio says it is 14F but didn't report a wind chill.
Guess my wind break not only breaks the wind but also reflects the heat. The small entrance must also help hold the heat in.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 07:04:07 pm »
Are they wearing little snowmobile suits?
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 07:54:53 pm »
OH that is a cute thought Roger...... bees all bundled up in snow suits. Maybe they all came out to make little snow angels, huh?

I think you're right Al. The windbreak, and I'd imagine the dark color for the hive, makes that area probably alot warmer.

I saw a show once about someone building a straw bale house. They had a thermomoter on the inside wall (more of a corner, no roof, and not a four wall building even, only 3 walls up) and a thermomoter on the outside wall. It was over 20 degrees warmer on the "inside". It just had to do with the wind break and the radiant heat from the straw bales.

Beth

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 08:32:24 pm »
We've been below zero for the last few days, and got about 2 feet of snow over the weekend.

I took a sugar board out to the girls today. Poped the to quickly, saw that the girls are there and alive, and pushed it in. A few of the girls came out to say hello... or sting me to get me away from their stores.  :shock:

That colony was so gentle all summer, but as soon as fall came, they turned all no nonsense! I put a mouse guard on, but I swear I'd pity the mounse that tried to get in there.
Lesli

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 09:45:50 am »
I posted these pictures on a post back near the first of Dec. I was told it is normal thing to happen.

It looked a lot like the same thing yesterday around my hives.

The hives face south. the wind block is a L blocking the west and north winds.

Snow mobile suits. Cute Idea but it is even hard to find them that fit a 2 year old human let alone bees.

Offline Finman

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 01:28:20 pm »
I just came from my summer cottage and I put "winter coats" again on.

It was really today 15F and clowdy. Some bees come out and flyed to eternal heaven.

Why they do that? My opinion is that they are sick, nosema or something, and nothing more. Hives which come most out, their bees has a lot fecess in their ar.... I mean in abdomen.

Somethimes a whole big hive comes out during winter and there will stay  only coffee cub size clumb of  bees in March.

Just now I have 4 hives in row, and they have most problems. - Why in row? - They have flyed to wrong hive and carried desease to nabour hives.

As you see, you hives are same like and very close. It is easy to bees change the hive by accident.

Offline pardee

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 07:08:43 pm »
Here in Southwest Michigan I also had about 15 degrees, it was also sunny and quiet until about noon I waded threw about 18 inches of snow to check how the girls were doing and noticed that some cleansing fights were being taken. They fly out about 20 to 30 feet do there duty and make a beeline back to the warmth of the cluster. It’s good to see this, lets you know that things are still ok in the hive.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 06:00:55 pm »
even though they are dead in that pick it makes me think of the little snow bee angels Beth. lol, bye
Ryan Horn

anything