Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Vundo Help Needed  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Barry Tolson

• New Bee
Vundo Help Needed
« on: December 31, 2010, 10:34:06 pm »
Can anyone tell me an uncomplicated way to rid one of my PC's of the Vundo virus? It started acting strange a while back and I ran my AVG...it detected Vundo, but seems unable to get rid of it. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Vundo Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 10:37:01 pm »
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 11:47:22 pm »
have you googled it?  a lot of those things pop up and are not really dangerous.  just annoying.  if your virus program is catching it and quarantining it each time it pops up, you are probably ok.  i agree that it can be a PIA to have them continually show.

google and see if there is a solution, but be careful if you find one.  be sure that the solution won't be worse than the problem.  at least you should be able to get a good description of the bug.

here's what wikipedia says and it looks like there's lots more info with a search

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vundo
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 12:08:45 am »
Microsoft security essentials does a fair job at removal.

Offline Barry Tolson

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 04:01:15 pm »
Oh yes...I've Wiki'd it.  That didn't help...made me more concerned with the explanations of how wiley that trojan horse is at evading capture. 

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 08:28:22 pm »
Sure fire way to get rid of that virus is to completely reformat your hard drive.  Of course that will require backing up any data files you may consider essential.  I know nobody here has any pirated software so that would not be a concern. 

Total time invested for reformatting and setting up the OS with your files and software will most likely be around 4 hours.

God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:54:04 pm »
I caught the Vundo years ago.  It was very difficult to get rid of back then.  Hopefully it's easier now.
If you know what file is infected, you might be able to kill the vundo process via the task manager and then delete the file.
Another good tool is the CCleaner you can download from CNET.  Using that program makes it easy to kill/remove files and virus that are kicked off at boot time.  In CCleaner, Goto "Tools" and "Startup" to remove things from startup that you don't want. The easiest suggestion I have though is to download a 30 day free trail version of Norton, let him find it and fix it.  As much as I've hated Norton over the years, he has gotten better and the trail version may fix you up.  I didn't have much luck with AVG on my system.   

anything