Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: keep or trash drawn comb?  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Suzy

• Brood
keep or trash drawn comb?
« on: September 05, 2006, 08:22:49 pm »
I just purchased some used beekeeping equipment which included wooden frames with drawn comb in them. The seller advised me that the comb should remain in the frames because the bees will re-use it for brood and for honey. The equipment hasn't been used for 15 years. Should I keep the drawn comb in the frames or trash it?

Offline latebee

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 08:52:18 pm »
Without knowing the history of the used items I would definitely trash the comb. Used equipment is risky business at best.It would not hurt to scorch the hive body interiors and buy some new frames as well.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline rsilver000

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 08:53:49 pm »
I would melt the wax and get new frames.  The frames are cheap and hard to completely clean so you don't have to worry about diseases.  I personally don't think it is worth the bother to clean them.  I would never use old comb not from my hives, too high a risk for disease.  As an additional point the wax comb is probably pretty fragile and flakey.
Good luck,
Rob
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 09:51:23 pm »
A very good rule to follow in beekeeping when obtaining used equipment is to assume it has had disease and handle it accordingly.  Disassemble and Scorch the boxes as virus's and disease spores can hide for decades in the cracks.  Cut out and melt all wax.  It is best to replace the frames but at the very least dissaemble them, boil them for 1/2 hour in hot water, let dry fully, and then reassemble.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 07:51:42 am »
How old it is, isn't a problem.  How dirty it is, isn't a problem unless it's really covered in mud.  The bees will clean it up.  The issue is AFB spores live forever and you don't know the history of the combs.  But if there's no AFB scale, it MAY be good comb.  But comb is easy enough for the bees to replace.  It depends on how much you trust the source of the combs.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 05:09:07 pm »
First step to knowing th equipments history would be to ask the seller, why he stopped keeping, and how long did he keep.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 11:35:58 pm »
Honestly, it's true there is risk involved, but I use used equipment all the time and have never had a problem.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything