Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to prevent swarming with a Taranov board  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
How to prevent swarming with a Taranov board
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:43:52 am »
This makes sense but, is it worth the trouble, as opposed to just doing a regualr split? I always thought the old queen took older bees with here, since the brood left behind need the nurse bees?

http://www.honeybeesuite.com/?p=1302

Here is someone doing it:

http://www.dheaf.plus.com/warrebeekeeping/taranov.htm
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:56:41 am by Humanbeeing »
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: How to prevent swarming with a Taranov board
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 02:02:17 am »
 thats what i call the ramp dump technique-false swarm nothing new to that never
heard of the Russian that clams to have invented it--you can use a spare lid for
a ramp--RDY-B

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 02:19:35 am »
Do you do the ramp dump often? The bees already seem to know who is leaving with the swarm. This system divides them up according to that plan. Is that better for the hive than a regular split?
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 02:34:05 am »
 it takes the desire to swarm out of the bees -in there mind they have already swarmed
and re-entered a new hive-I use the ramp dump to install swarms that i have captured
 sometimes at night -sometimes at day-they just march right in--RDY-B

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 03:05:20 am »
rdy-b,
I understand that, and I have seen this done with just caught swarms before.
They leave the board 4 inches from the hive entrance, in a hive that has built swarm cells, but has not swarmed yet. The bees that were preparing to go with the swarm, will not "jump" the four inches to re-enter the hive. Are these bees that were going to go with the swarm, really young bees that have never flown out of the hive?
What would be the advantage of doing it this way as opposed to a walk away split? Would it be that it mimicks the swarm exactly the way the hive had it planned, and splits the bees accordingly?

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 03:14:42 am »
When Taranow lived, bees were very different on those days. They were not much breeded and they swarmed like mad. Colonies were small.

About theory, young nurser bees are not those which make combs. Best comb builders are 2 weeks old. Foragers swarm too because swar is a good forager and the old hive cannot forage surpluss any more.

False swarm system is effective and simple. It seems laborous but after that you need not to watch queen cells.

Snelgrove board seems good too, but 2 big hives together makes only troubles.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 05:49:08 pm »
rdy-b,
I understand that, and I have seen this done with just caught swarms before.
They leave the board 4 inches from the hive entrance, in a hive that has built swarm cells, but has not swarmed yet. The bees that were preparing to go with the swarm, will not "jump" the four inches to re-enter the hive. Are these bees that were going to go with the swarm, really young bees that have never flown out of the hive?
What would be the advantage of doing it this way as opposed to a walk away split? Would it be that it mimics the swarm exactly the way the hive had it planned, and splits the bees accordingly?
when the bees swarm there is a mix of bees in the swarm-young and old-the Russian is using this as a splitting technique -we are using it as a swarm prevention technique -the Russian is reading much more into this than there is-the Russian
is using this technique as a way to harvest a CLUSTER of bees from a hive-for his split-there is nothing magic about the bees in the cluster that forms at the gap he has created between ramp and hive-body-and it is very possible to end up without a queen when he harvests that cluster-and if given time the bees dont jump--they make a link and will daisy-chain
across the gap-there is no value to this technique for splitting --only to provide FALSE swarm for SWARM CONTROL -- ;) RDY-B

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 06:38:21 pm »
That ramp....

I use to make flying swarm. I move the hive 10 feet.
In old site I put a new hive which has foundations, food frame, queen and one brood frame.

Bees move by themselves during couple of days to the old site and I need not to shake them.

Perhaps landing board and landing lights would be good.

Lufthansa Airbus320 crash landing in heavy winds Hamburg
Language barrier NOT included