Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: To late to split a hive?  (Read 3179 times)

Offline beecowboy

• New Bee
To late to split a hive?
« on: June 08, 2005, 08:11:38 pm »
Hi, I am new to this I like reading the Q and A but I have a question I got a swarm out of an old barn Iknow I got the Queen .The hive has a lot of bees in it so i was going to put another chamber on top. I blocked op the bottom entrence,and left the one on the top box put new foundation in the frames sprayed  them with sugar water to get them going into both chambers but they are not working the top one. Iwas wondering if I rotated frames,put ever other one with tied in comb in place of the new foundation in the top chamber and the new foundation in the bottom if that would help?  also I have A hive that looks like it might swarm I live in south alabama is it to late to split a hive?  :oops:

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
To late to split a hive?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 08:30:56 pm »
How long ago did you get the bees from the barn? The queen probably started in the bottom and might stay there until more room is needed.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline beecowboy

• New Bee
To late to split a hive?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 08:51:23 pm »
I got the swarm about 3 weeks ago. What i wanted to do was to get them started on the new foundation and discard the old comb.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
To late to split a hive?
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 11:00:57 pm »
Yeah, that's what I wanted to do, but they won't give up the old stuff no matter where I put it. Hopefully I will eventually get it moved up into the hive and they will fill it full of honey, then I will get it out.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

anything