Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chimney Bees  (Read 9243 times)

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Chimney Bees
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 05:51:33 pm »
By the way mark only 104 miles round trip not bad :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline marksmith

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 07:58:27 pm »
I thank you again for the drawn frames for the swarm traps.

I am going to definately get a couple swarms off this colony before I try anything drastic... for insurance above anything else. Hopefully I can gather a couple swarms this season without much trouble.

It was good seeing you and the better half today. I really appreciate it.  I forgot to show ya the Robo inspired bee vac that was setting in the garage.  Works like a charm. (not too sure the yellow jackets that I vacuumed up appreciate it... but hey! It had to be tested somehow!!)
Mark Smith - Elkton, OR

Offline marksmith

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 07:38:31 pm »
UPDATE:

I popped the top of the chimney off today for a look.  I saw NO bees to speak of.  There were 20-30 that I saw total.  The inside is wall to wall comb. Dad has a bore scope w/ 6' of lead on it.  I poked and worked my way 6' down the hive without so much as hearing a buzz. There are empty cells everywhere and what looks like bee butts sticking out of a bunch of them.

I have pictures of the top of the chimney... I will see if I can get a moderator to post them up for me.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Smith - Elkton, OR

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 07:47:25 pm »
That's a shame.   Is there and honey left in any of the comb?

Offline marksmith

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 08:13:59 pm »
No honey or anything for the 6' that I could see with a bore scope.

Odd thing is there has been a fairly good show of bees in the last couple weeks saying they were still home.

Whats the chances that the top of this hive was 'abandoned' and their actual hive is further down the chimney? 
Mark Smith - Elkton, OR

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 08:19:48 pm »
You may have just been robbed.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 08:21:53 pm »
the entire hive may have absconded.  or it may have swarmed and been to weak to fend off robbers....    warm day?  no activity?  no bees. 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline marksmith

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 08:30:19 pm »
On a warm day (yesterday, day before) there were bees coming and going.  I wasn't on top looking @ numbers but I'd say at any given time there were 30-50 bees hovering and crawling on the chimney that I could see.

I guess I will just have to keep an eye on things.

This is the album of the photos I took today.

Photos here

Thanks
Mark
Mark Smith - Elkton, OR

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 08:37:00 pm »
that older comb looks like it's been abandoned for awhile.  wonder if you just saw some robbing activity, or scouts looking for a new home.  probably a good idea to clean that out before you do have a swarm move in.

might someone have tried to smoke them out from the below?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline marksmith

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 08:45:58 pm »
No chance of smoking out from below.  The folks have had this place going on 3 years. Last summer they showed the same activity level as I saw yesterday and the day before... but the smell of honey was so strong the inside of the house smelled of honey.

Todays weather was overcast with the threat of rain.  About 15 degrees cooler than yesterday.  Could they be further down the chimney?  Matter of fact, yesterday I watched 3 honey bees take to a yellowjacket that was nearing the enterance. They landed on him, drug him to the deck where I was standing, and few back to the hive entrance. 

This sound like robbing?

I'll wait for another nicer day and take pictures of the entrance activity.

Thanks everyone for their help.  I really appreciate it.

Mark

PS... where do I pick up package bees this time of year in Oregon?  I seriously want a hive of bees to work up.
Mark Smith - Elkton, OR

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 08:48:56 pm »
I'd even say stick to the swarm traps for a while too, I saw the live bee in the pic and I couldn't see any harm in having one around, just in case.
be happy and make others happy.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 08:52:50 pm »
i don't know about a package.  it's kind of late, but you might still be able to find nucs.  i'd start scouting beekeeping places on the internet and see what you can find.  also, try putting a wanted add on craigslist.  i have seen people selling hives and nucs on there.

put your name out for swarms.  the bees are just now going on the crops, and those bees always swarm.  

can you run that scope up from the bottom and see what's in there.  maybe there are some still in there. robbers don't protect a hive.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 09:21:36 am »
Mark give the beehive a call my boss is going to bring nuc's back from California you may be able to get one or two.

p.s I got some old ten frame stuff that needs some TLC if you want it just let me know.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 10:52:11 am »
Sit up on the roof for a little while and see if the incoming bees are bringing in pollen. Looks to me like they starved out over the winter. There could be just a very tiny cluster of bees that did make it through the winter. If you are going to do a cut out now would be the time, less mess to deal with. Save the old drawn comb and use it in a swarm trap.

Put no. 8 mesh hardware cloth over the chimney to keep the bees out, they can not pass through it.

Irwin :cheer: good job on lending a helping hand, what a guy!!

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline marksmith

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 08:00:32 pm »
 :-\ Not very many bees.  Its 65 and beautifully sunny.... about 12 bees.  And I'm afraid they might be 12 bees from another hive coming to scope it out.

Anyhow.  Looks like I found a couple nucs that will be here @ the end of the month.  I'll start with those nucs and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for their help.  It wasn't all a bust. I have 2 5 frame nucs, 2 deeps with 2 frames of drawn comb, and a home built Robo style bee-vac.

Not a bad start for a newbee.

Thanks again.
Mark
Mark Smith - Elkton, OR

anything