Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Time to super swarm?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Rob Sandberg

• New Bee
Time to super swarm?
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:33:29 pm »
First year with bees. I caught and placed a swarm on October 22' I know it was late in the year , but figured if they were not going to make ,why not in my backyard?  I place one frame of honey and fed them 2 to 1 sugar for 6 days.  I left them alone and today I finally looked at the girls.  I found bees everywhere, inside telescoping cover, both side of inner cover and frame tops were covered. I found 9 3/4 frames drawn and covered with bees. 2 3/4  frames of honey  / pollen remain 7 brood,capped and uncapped. Should I give them a super ? Or can I order a queen and attempt a split.  I found no swarm cells, but a whole bunch of drone cells. Is it okay to remove entrance reducer ? Weather here mid 40's at night.
The swarm when placed was about the size of 1 1/2 softballs. Thanks in advance for your time.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Time to super swarm?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 11:22:18 pm »
you don't want that one to swarm.  if your temps are above freezing, i'd give them a deep.  that queen has gone to town and you want her to keep at it.  also, feed.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 12:19:40 am »
I would agree with Kathyp, give more room and feed.  You didn't say what size brood box they were in.  But give them a deep brood on what they have, and latter a super.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 08:32:54 am »
Amazing luck to catch a late swarm and have it not only survive but apparently thrive.  Too Cool  8-).

I certainly agree.  If there is no forage available yet, start feeding TODAY  :)

Spring (the first few dandelions) is when I like to begin KYBO (Keeping Your Broodnests Open) upon the first major inspection and clean up, by inserting empty frames between drawn, start adding supers and generally spreading the broodnest out as the colony expands, to inhibit swarming by giving them something else to do......make honey.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."