Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee yard photos and lay out  (Read 109174 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Re: Bee yard photos and lay out
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2007, 11:43:36 am »
thanks all! (glad ya like it!)   :)

Cindi ~> yes, it's very easy access being just a step down the stairs (terraced back yard), through the gate (gated pool area) and one step up to that back deck.  The hives are easy access as well ~ on the benches = no stooping & I left room  to the front of the hives as well.  The short benches behind each set of five hives are also there so that I could place lids, covers, chambers, supers, etc., on something close (besides the floor).  Since they're behind the hives (& out of flight paths) its a good place to sit, but I prefer sitting down in that corner (where standing in pic) so I can observe the entrances of all 10 hives with flight path(s) going right over my head.  :lol:  Never been stung! (yet, knocks on wood, lol).
Here's the views from the corner perspective:

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2007, 08:29:54 pm »
Here's my 10×10 beeyard. Curious to know if my water source is well located. Both my neighbors have pools, so I'd like them to have a more desirable alternative.

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2007, 08:39:26 pm »
Moonshae, how do the milk crates work for hive stands? I have been thinking about using them myself. I have a good supply as well as a supply of plastic Coke trays. I will have to figure out a way to keep the ants out.  Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2007, 08:53:33 pm »
Moonshae, how do the milk crates work for hive stands?

As long as they are wide enough, they work great. They're stable and sturdy.

Don't the bees keep ants away themselves?
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2007, 10:15:53 am »
Dane, again said, very nice set up.  Now that is one honking big deck!!!!  How large is it anyways?  Define the dimension, I am curious.  Your cat looks like its lovin' life, eh?

Moonshae, you have a very cute little bee yard.  I like your fence around it, who would ever know that you have bees lurking in your back yard eh?  Like the idea of the milk crates for stands.  Innovation, what a cool thing!!!!  Have a wonderful day, great health and life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2007, 11:49:44 am »
Dane, again said, very nice set up.  Now that is one honking big deck!!!!  How large is it anyways?  Define the dimension, I am curious.  Your cat looks like its lovin' life, eh?
Thanks again Cindi :)
Dimensions eh?  Well, serendipitously enough, that part of the deck is a hexagon and ~ 840 sq.ft.  Use this equation with ~ 18' sides) ~>   There's a hexagon window in the master bedroom as well.    :shock:
Yeah - Maya (the Bengal kitty) loves it here.  She likes the bee deck too and must have some instinct to not mess with the bees - at least at the entrances.  I think she got stung in the foot once by a crawler, lol.

Moonshae ~> are your bees using the water source you provided?  There's a few threads (as I vaguely recall) on water sourcing. 

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2007, 02:02:10 pm »
Moonshae ~> are your bees using the water source you provided?  There's a few threads (as I vaguely recall) on water sourcing.

It's still been fairly cool here, the past two days were our first hot days. I saw a bee crawling on the box, but none in the water itself. While I'm figuring they've found it (since the foragers have found some flowering trees nearby), I don't know if they're willing to use it yet. I'm hoping to see them sitting in there soon (I filled it mostly with small rocks so they can't drown).

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2007, 07:19:27 pm »
Moonshea, You were asking about the ants. Yes the bees will take care of a few. Here in the south, especially as dry as it is, ants can be a real problem and can take over a hive. They can attack by the millions if left unchecked.

Extremely dry and fighting ants here in the south, Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2007, 09:13:47 am »
Curious to know if my water source is well located. Both my neighbors have pools, so I'd like them to have a more desirable alternative.

I use to use a dogloo for a water source. Now we have a pool instead :-P

I got best results when the water was "spiked" with a little clorox.

and when I moved it about 30 feet from the hives.   There is no magic in that number, I moved it from 5 feet to 30 feet and it all of a sudden got a lot more traffic.

If your really concerned with the neighbors pools,  you can give them water in a boardman feeder.  Once again, consider "spiking" it so that the neighbors pool isn't more appealling.   Once they find the pool, it will be difficult to stop them.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 08:21:59 am by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2007, 09:30:56 am »
Dane, what on earth!!!!  What is with the equation?  Are you like some kind of techy mathmetician (LOL, spelling?).  I don't do equations.  Regardless, sounds cool.

I think that the bees do not like to drink from water that is too close to their hive.  Not sure, but I'm thinking that they like something a little farther away better.  Maybe they are worried about feces in the water that is close (their own poopies) to their hive.  I know when I first started with bees I had a container right inside their yard, never once saw one in it.  Moved it about 20 feet away and there were a few, but not many.  Probably didn't like what I had. 

When I was out working in my new bee barn yesterday and day before I saw a whole bunch of bees, and I mean lots and lots, drinking from the stagnant mucky muck from some run off from the bathtub that the ducks love to swim in.  Oh brother.  To me it didn't even look like it was very wet.  But they were there, sucking up moisture like there was no tomorrow.  Go figure that one.  I guess they filter mucky junk and take what they need.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2007, 01:17:01 pm »
Dane, what on earth!!!!  What is with the equation?  Are you like some kind of techy mathmetician (LOL, spelling?).  I don't do equations.  Regardless, sounds cool.
lol ~ yes I am (B.S. in Aeronautical Engineering working in Info Tech).  That equation is for the area of a hexagon, which can be determined knowing any side's length (since they're all equal). 
<~ The three-dimensional geometry of a honeycomb cell.  8-)

Offline Draginol

• New Bee
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2007, 12:12:36 am »
Here's what I have:

There's a creek right behind the flowers.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2007, 12:31:26 am »
Draginol ,It looks like a bunch of wild mustard blooming behind the hives.  My bees loved this stuff.
Great pictures everyone.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2007, 11:03:32 am »
Draginol, beautiful picture  and set up.  Down in the meadow by a itty bitty pool (in your case a little creek), how cool and pretty.  Have a wonderful day, great life, love the life your livin'.  Cindi

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2007, 11:06:03 pm »
Draginol..thats purdy!

Offline tennesseebeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2007, 12:40:38 pm »
nm

Offline Barngodess

• New Bee
  • Labradors RULE
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2007, 08:30:19 pm »
Here is my one and only hive ! I've had them now 10 days, because today my mentor came back and helped me with my first inspection. Things look great ! And we have multiplied. He said we went from 1500 to 5 - 6,000. At first I just had 2 strings of electric fence wire. But I saw all the fence some of you have put up to safeguard against bear, so we put up some fence too. Today we added another box on top, to accommodate a new and bigger feeder. Here is the day they brought the hive.

Here is now, with the fence.

Funny thing, I posted this pic on my dog forum and one gal said her first thought, was " how is THAT gonna keep the bees in"!

Melissa
 ;)
Never say never......

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2007, 11:19:02 pm »
 8-)

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2007, 04:25:05 am »
ok..i can see how it's not gonna keep the bees in but,....how's it gonna keep the critters out? against which critters did you actually put it? because it sure wouldn't stop a bear...

Offline Barngodess

• New Bee
  • Labradors RULE
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2007, 07:55:09 am »
It's electrified........ it's low enough to the ground to keep away skunks, plus they will get a "jolt" too..... the guy I got them from only uses one strand of electric fence wire around his, but I have more bear around here.

Melissa
 ;)
Never say never......