Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: beginner mishap  (Read 2505 times)

Offline drmwarden

• New Bee
beginner mishap
« on: April 20, 2005, 05:14:51 pm »
I successfully found my old queen last week and removed her and placed the new queen box in the hive.  She was released about 2-3 days later when I checked.  Yesterday evening (I had been away for several days, and the forcast was for rain)  I decided to go back into the hive to check and see if all was well.  I had a problem with my veil (I only use it for major invasion of the hive, not for feeding or routine checks) and ended up with lots of bees in my bonnet!    :(   So I just reassembled the hive without searching farther.  The girls seem to be very busy, but I didn't actually find the queen.  Do I need to try again (once the swelling goes down so I can get my eye open)  or can I just assume all is well if they are all still there working?

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
beginner mishap
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 05:24:46 pm »
LOL Let the swelling go down first. :)
Probably all is well. You've done quite a bit for a week anyway - catching one queen, putting in another, checking once 3 days later, and trying to check again after that. Besides that, unless you FIND the queen on the next look, you won't know much until you see some eggs telling you she's in there doing her job.

Really up to you - take a break, or check again.

Beth

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
beginner mishap
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 05:39:40 pm »
>I had a problem with my veil (I only use it for major invasion of the hive, not for feeding or routine checks) and ended up with lots of bees in my bonnet!

Which is why I would ALWAYS wear one if you're opening the hive.  You catch them in a bad mood and they can mobilize a lot of bees very quickly.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline drmwarden

• New Bee
beginner mishap
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 04:38:34 pm »
I was wearing my veil, but the bees got inside! (It's now in the trash can and I have a new one).[/i]

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
beginner mishap
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 08:02:02 pm »
You have to make shure that the back of your veil is below your shirt collar. bye :)
Ryan Horn

anything