Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa treatment using formic or oxalic acid, without usin a fumigater  (Read 4783 times)

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
Re: Varroa treatment using formic or oxalic acid, without usin a fumigater
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 12:02:55 pm »
gww, I do think that can be disabled. It's the same when it says 'sent from my iphone'. I deleted that on mine. You can go into settings, then mail, contacts, etc, then find signature. The companies put that text as standard but you can erase or change it.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 03:48:17 pm »
Mt bee girl
I am low tech and still don't have a smart phone or data plan.  I was just curious if it could be dissabled cause it would bug me if I ever get one.  Thanks for answering my off topic question.
gww

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 10:04:06 pm »
So, are you putting this thing on the top of the hive inside and empty super?

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2016, 08:40:08 pm »
use empty super for spacer and place vaporizer inside empty super and directly on brood chamber frames. Note the use of 11 frame brood chamber in this example.
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline Vicken

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2016, 09:16:18 am »
Can i treat with a syringe oxalic or formic acid with sugar syrup, i saw a video on the internet where one used a syringe and sprayed formic AZ cid inbetween frames over the bees,  what consantrate of formic acid to use then ? And is it affective?

Sent from my D6502 using Tapatalk

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2016, 01:37:50 pm »
Dribble method has not proved to be as effective, but you can read a lot about it on Randy Oliver's website.  I think it's called Scientific Beekeeping.  There's a lot of good info about a lot of things on his website.  Read everything there and on Michael Bush's website and you'll have a pretty good education about bees and beekeeping.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2016, 06:33:42 pm »

yes and then put cover back on hive

www.VPBEES.com

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2016, 07:48:47 pm »
vicken
Thanks brother though you didn't tell me about feral bees, I'm sorry for my complain, you might be busy, thanks a lot, I'll see this Link

No I just tried to answer your original question.  I have an off subject question that I have been dieing to ask somebody.  Where all the post end with  "Sent from my D6502 using Tapatalk"  Can this funtion be dissabled or is everyone required to send out advertisements that use one of these phones.  I would hate to pay for the privilage to advertise for some one.  I am not from the modern era and have no beef but am curious.  I think iddee got to your feral question pretty good.
Good luck
gww
I think mine makes the signature too?  i use a free app "tapatalk"  on my phone. Given the format and screen size it beats the tar out of using the website. Easy to post pics too, one step. If it adds a sig to "advertise" I don't have a problem, unless you find it very offensive?

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2016, 09:23:53 pm »
Yes2...
If it adds a sig to "advertise" I don't have a problem, unless you find it very offensive?
No it doesn't offend me too bad.  I was mostly just curious.  If I had it I would probly disable it if I was smart enough to disable it but I don't really care.  It is like everything else, I mostly just wanted to know what the deal is.  Who knows, I might move into the future someday and like to know how things work.
Cheers
gww

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2016, 09:41:04 pm »
I have had great success treating 34 colonies with attached device
an 8oz can with one end and contents removed,
church key or pocket knife,
wide mouth Mason jar lid,
two 1/4" x 2-1/2" dowels,
wood stilt 2" tall by 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" square,
beeswax tea-light candle,
doses of OA.
 Punch 2 holes in can with church key, see attached for locations, place 2" x 1/4" spacers inside of mason jar lid
(i hot glued my kits), see attached for locations, those spacers provide a gap for an oxygen intake, place stilt 2" tall by 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" in center of mason jar lid (hot glue), see attached, place tea-light candle on stilt.
Apply OA dose to top of can, light candle, place can on top of candle, cover hive and seal. As it will take a  minute or so for the burner to reach vaporization temperature one will have time seal hive and leave area and/or move upwind to the next hive.
One may use an empty Super for the shim allowing a space for the placement of vaporizer unit in the hive.
 Notes 315 degrees (F) to vaporize OA. 1) wick needs to be cut longer, 3/8" +, than usual as we are not interested in
efficiently we want heat. 2) flame tip needs to be within apx 1/4" of can's surface with that spacers under the
candle, penny etc, may be necessary to tweak height of the candle for proper temperature at burner as candle burns down. 
***Please always keep in mind one does not want to inhale any Oxalic Acid (OA) fumes***                                 
Stay Upwind

dial in heat/flame with heat gun from Big Box store, heat gun may also be used to do energy audit of home ( checking for leaks) faulty circuit breakers or cats like chasing the laser dot. Very inexpensive tool/toy

www.VPBEES.com

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2016, 12:50:38 am »
also great for locating hives in walls before doing removals.

john

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2016, 09:06:15 pm »

I thought that the vapor was supposed to rise through the bottom of the hive and be fanned upwards and through the upper boxes by the bees. How does the vapor get down to the bottom of the hive with this method?

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2016, 09:45:33 pm »
also great for locating hives in walls before doing removals.

john

and significantly cheaper than thermal imagery camera

www.VPBEES.com

Offline ScooterTrash

• House Bee
  • ScooterTrash Forever
    • Vince & Pat's Apiaries
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2016, 09:55:01 pm »

I thought that the vapor was supposed to rise through the bottom of the hive and be fanned upwards and through the upper boxes by the bees. How does the vapor get down to the bottom of the hive with this method?

a vapor/gas that moves throughout the hive ( block entrance and screened bottom board if used also note OA may have a negative effect on the average screen in a bottom board.

www.VPBEES.com

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2016, 08:10:11 am »
I read somewhere that once the OA was in the hive the bees started fanning to get it out. With the hive shut up all it did was circulate through the hive, thus covering more area.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything