Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Harvest in the north  (Read 4095 times)

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
Harvest in the north
« on: August 18, 2012, 07:15:34 pm »
About when is the usual cut of date for harvesting honey in the north and giving the bees enough time to pack the hive full to overwinter

John

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
Re: Harvest in the north
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 08:01:38 pm »
They should have been full before you put on supers.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 09:48:34 pm »
About when is the usual cut of date for harvesting honey in the north and giving the bees enough time to pack the hive full to overwinter

John

Is their a fall flow ???

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 11:12:13 pm »
Jim

The goldenrod is starting here and we will have some other sources for another month.

I will be pulling all my full supers tomorrow to extract but as I am still fairly new at bee keeping [3rd year] I was wondering what time line other keepers fallowed in the fall.

John

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 11:55:18 pm »
I will probably wait till the flow is over then feed heavy till freeze up.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 12:23:28 pm »
Jim

The goldenrod is starting here and we will have some other sources for another month.

I will be pulling all my full supers tomorrow to extract but as I am still fairly new at bee keeping [3rd year] I was wondering what time line other keepers fallowed in the fall.

John

I can tell you my timeline I pull all the supers 1 or 2 week of July give all the fall honey to the bees.At has work out will for me the past 50+ years. On at average year at is about 60% spring honey and 40% fall honey and some times in a dry year no honey in the fall.

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 07:13:22 pm »
Thanks Jim - That's good advise. I extracted mine today. They still have about half a super of partially capped honey [on each hive] that I will place over the inner cover or under the brood nest so they can rob it back. Otherwise I will check on there stores about the middle of September and feed until it gets to cold.

John

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 11:07:33 pm »
For overwinter bees in the part of MA. where I live you need about 12 to 14 frames of honey     (60 lbs of honey) bees and the hive will wt. about 120 lbs or so on a 2 deep boxes (This is 10 frame equipment). A full deep frame as about 5 lbs.of honey

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 11:57:28 pm »
 Thanks Jim - That's good advise. I extracted mine today. They still have about half a super of partially capped honey [on each hive] that I will place over the inner cover  

This has not work good for me

or under the brood nest so they can rob it back.

This has work good for me if I do at NOW (I got about 5 to 6 weeks to first frost)

Otherwise I will check on there stores about the middle of September and feed until it gets to cold.

John
Ditto
Hint: Bees need draw comb Bees will not draw comb in the cold

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 04:14:23 pm »
Save for three, all my 24 hives are from swarms, cut outs and splits.   This drought up here was a disaster. Any plans I had to pull honey from these hives are gone. The frames of honey from the rich colonies went to help out the poor ones.  Just took enough for myself to put on my cereal and flavor my tea. That's it.  At this point, I'm hoping that the early goldenrod and aster flow will provide them enough to get through the winter.  I only feed in emergency situations and this fall just might be one of those.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 08:57:48 pm »
Not to worry Jim. The two hives I harvested honey from have two fully drawn deeps each. I also have a split I started in spring. They lost a queen mid summer and raised a new one. They still have five frames to build comb on. I am feeding but the nights are starting to get cold and bees aren't as willing to build comb.

John

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 03:58:46 pm »
In Michigan I put when the golden rod gets going which is now.  This leaves about 1.5 months of golden rod and aster for them.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 09:36:10 pm »
I usually wait for October or November... depending on when it first gets cold enough that the bees are down out of the supers.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 10:22:13 pm »
Will they drop down out of the supers enough to get them off?

anything