Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Banana Flower Honey  (Read 7658 times)

Offline photokid

• New Bee
Banana Flower Honey
« on: April 12, 2005, 01:30:22 pm »
Here in sunny south Florida, I started beekeeping in February for the first time. Everything is moving along beautifully. I take pictures to help monitor the progress. My hive is located next to 5 acres of banana plants. The banana flowers are full of bees, and the hive super is filling with capped honey. Any idea how good this honey is? And do I really need to be certified and have to send my honey to be bottled in order to even give the honey away?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Banana Flower Honey
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 03:08:26 pm »
Quote from: photokid
My hive is located next to 5 acres of banana plants. The banana flowers are full of bees, and the hive super is filling with capped honey. Any idea how good this honey is?

Tastes like chicken..... :wink:  I have no idea, but it sounds interesting and would be willing to compare it to others if you send me a sample :P
Quote from: photokid

And do I really need to be certified and have to send my honey to be bottled in order to even give the honey away?

No,  I have never heard of such a requirement.  You can surely bottle your own to give away.  Not sure what Florida laws are, but most states just require labeling with your name, address, and weight.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Banana Flower Honey
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 08:58:51 pm »
Banana honey sounds good.
Ryan Horn

Offline photokid

• New Bee
In exchange
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 12:22:32 pm »
I'll let you know if it's any good. In the meanwhile, what do you have in exchange?  :)

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Banana Flower Honey
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 05:49:12 pm »
Why would they want your wieght on the label?
Isn't that a bit personal?
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Banana Flower Honey
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 11:41:17 pm »
Rog, I hope that was a joke. If not they are talking about the wieght of the contained food product. bye :)
Ryan Horn