Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: sucrose syrup  (Read 2646 times)

Offline wd

• Field Bee
sucrose syrup
« on: December 10, 2010, 02:57:01 pm »
I'm considering making patty's with sucrose syrup, How is it made from scratch and does anyone use it?

The recipe I have is equal parts crystal sugar and water, boiled until dissolved with a pinch of cream of tarter.

Offline Yuleluder

• House Bee
    • Yule's Apiaries
Re: sucrose syrup
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 07:46:50 pm »
I would throw some vegetable oil into the mix, otherwise I have found the pattys turn hard.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 07:57:03 pm »
Lucas,

You talking about bee candy or pollen patties?

Better get some sleep.

;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 08:46:00 pm »
I would throw some vegetable oil into the mix, otherwise I have found the pattys turn hard.
  i would recomend CANOLA-over vegtable oil--there is sience behind this-- :lol:  RDY-B

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 12:31:47 am »
I was in earlier and left a post, or so I thought. must hit the wrong button. purchased some patty's / patties. invert sugar threw me off. Thanks

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 01:02:35 am »
  bees do well with invert sugar-they will eat good-RDY-B

Offline Yuleluder

• House Bee
    • Yule's Apiaries
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 12:56:50 pm »
Lucas,

You talking about bee candy or pollen patties?

Better get some sleep.

;)

Nah, I was talking about pollen patties.  I made patties a few years back and they became hardened after a few weeks.  Since then I have always used some sort of cooking oil for the patties.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 04:14:29 pm »
When you put fructose into pollen patty 1/4 out of sugar , it keeps patty soft. It absorb moisture from air.

If you put too much soya flour into patty it hardens too. So use as much dry yeast with soya.

If you use honey in patty, it keeps patty soft too. Beepollen ball  has 30% honey.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 06:51:27 pm »
  best sub contains up to 9% fat content-best form is canola-it contains 24 methylene cholesterol-
which is
A sterol, 24-methylene cholesterol, is common in pollen and is the major sterol source for honey bees. Nearly all insects need to obtain sterol from their diet because of their inability to synthesize them directly. Sterol is the precursor for important hormones such as molting hormone, which regulates growth because it is required at the time of each molt. It is not clear what other lipids are required by honey bees, but most likely normal consumption of pollen provides for all the lipid requirements. Pollen with low fat content is less likely to be consumed by honey bees, but can be made more attractive to bees with the addition of lipids. The total lipid concentration within a pollen supplement is recommended to be 5%–8%.   ;) RDY-B

anything