Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi, I'm pollenchucker  (Read 2308 times)

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
  • 42 days and their wings fall off, eh?
Hi, I'm pollenchucker
« on: February 21, 2009, 06:02:57 pm »
I'm just getting started in planning my hive as well as trying to figure out what plants I can add to our environment to help the bees through the rough times.  I live on 200 acres in the sandhills of N.C. but summer can be brutal so I am going to be looking for help in that respect as well.  I will be getting my bees in April from a local activist beekeeper and educator.  I only plan to start with 1 hive but could be persuaded into to doing 2.  I'd rather not kill too many bees on my first go round.  Hopefully I'll be able to move up from there.
Nice to meet you all.
-pollenchucker

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Hi, I'm pollenchucker
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:25:20 pm »
Welcome....I am just north of you.

As for summer, don't worry about it. Put the bees in full sunlight at least until 5 PM. The small hive beetle loves shade, the bees can manage the heat just fine if they have a water source.

Do yourself a favor and get two hives. You may find that one saves the other and you wind up with two or more, rather than none.

PS, put your nearest town, and state, in your profile. Otherwise, no one can answer your questions when climate has so much to do with beekeeping.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
  • 42 days and their wings fall off, eh?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:44:38 pm »
Thanks Iddee, I believe I just finished updating my profile.  And I may consider going with 2, what you said squares with my personal feelings though cost might be another consideration.  I was hoping to ease in gently but understand the potential possibilities.
-pc

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 08:49:57 pm »
Hello and Welcome Pollenchucker
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny 

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 09:21:59 pm »
Welcome
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 10:56:02 am »
Welcome to the forum  :)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 11:22:20 pm »
PollenChucker, welcome to our forum.  And do you?  I mean chuck pollen, that is a most interesting handle, smiling.

Stick around, this can be the place that you can do an incredible amount of learning, a place where you can tell your tales, stories and experiences, and also make some new friends.  Have a most great and wonderful day in this groovey life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service