Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone use the demaree or snelgrove methods of hive management?  (Read 2521 times)

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
Long time since ive posted.
Hope everyones year is going well so far.

We are just in the beginning of spring here, but things look good so far...
I made up some divider boards to use the demaree or snelgrove method of dividing the queen/brood nest from sealed brood with a super in between.  I want to raise queens using this method as well as, keep large populations from swarming...has anyone on here used the demaree method? I know its not something those running large numbers of hives would have time for, but it seems to be ideal for hobbyist beekeepers with the time.  Just curious what anyones experience with this has been.  Thanks.  steve.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Anyone use the demaree or snelgrove methods of hive management?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 10:05:44 pm »
There's a guy in my bee club who is big on it.  Over the years he keeps simplifying it.  What he does now is just put one brood box over a double screen with an entrance open for it over the other brood box.  In a few weeks he removed the double screen and ends up with a two queen hive, or he does a split with it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin