Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: newbee shifted brood boxes???  (Read 1904 times)

Offline dprater

• House Bee
newbee shifted brood boxes???
« on: June 11, 2012, 11:14:34 pm »
Well I may have screwed up but here is what I did. All 8 frame mediums. Added third brood box two weeks ago and all but 2 frames was drown out, pollen and a little honey. Second box had brood,pollen and lots of bees and some weight to it. Bottom box some bees but not much else, no eggs no brood in the two frames I look at and the box was very light. So my newbee brain started up and I put the bottom supper in # 2 spot and #2 on the bottom. Did I mess up to bad???

Pic is of #2 and I was so supprised by the bottom supper I forgot to take a pic.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
Re: newbee shifted brood boxes???
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 07:30:48 am »
It's not a matter of messing up as much as just doing things that don't need to be done. Sounds like you have a new colony that's growing, but not big enough yet to fill two boxes with brood. They decided they wanted the broodnest "upstairs" and you decided you wanted them "downstairs".

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:42:19 am »
They should be fine grasshopper.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:19:17 am »
You didn't mess the hive up, but you did mess up.  You did first, asked second. That is a mess up. Always ask first, then do second. Next time, you might not be so lucky.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:18:17 pm »
From the shotgun appearance in picture it looks as though your queen got into your mead.  :cheer: :lau:  The 'biscuits' look good, you should get some new workers in 7-10 days.  But I agree, if in doubt, ask on the forum we are very willing to help.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 05:41:53 am »
Thanks
This forum has helped me alot already so next time I'll close up the hive and ask before I make any big moves.
Yes indypartridge it is a new colony, middle of April. Mike-first pattern was picture perfict so she may have been drinking on this pattern:-D.

Sence they were running out of space upstairs would they move back in the lower box as they need to? Guess I was trying to show them (hay- look here you have another room to live in!!!)

Thanks again
Danny

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 07:22:22 am »
Since they were running out of space upstairs would they move back in the lower box as they need to?
Yes. As the colony grows, the queen will move between boxes.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 05:51:01 pm »
probably not shotgun.  just hatching.  did you look in those cells?  bet she has been back to them.  pretty sure i see an egg in one when i enlarge picture   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.