Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top cover  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Terry N

• New Bee
Top cover
« on: June 13, 2012, 02:53:39 pm »
A beekeeper put on a bee excluder 3 weeks ago and has not been back...so I checked  hive...found on 1 of the supers that there was comb hanging down...when I went to put supers on and top cover and lid...found could not fit everything now there is a top cover gap(in other words not on tight as should be. The hive is still active, do you think I should open hive again and scrape off the wax OR will they seal up the hive themselves. I did not expect nor have time to remove the hanging down wax. I only ever wanted to put 2 supers on but for some reason this veteran beekeeper put on an excluder to one of the supers... Any advice helpful...anything to worry about for now?? Thanks...PS It has been 2 days since this occured.If it helps you to know the wax was on only one of the supers. Just enough to screw things up.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Top cover
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:38:34 pm »
Is this hive the beeks that put queen excluder on, if so let him know and do what he wants.  If it is yours and the comb hanging down is burr comb and it is keeping hive from fitting together good then scrape it off. If it is much of a gap fix it.  Good luck.

Joe

Offline Terry N

• New Bee
Re: Top cover
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:47:11 am »
Thanks Joe appreciate reply..I will try to scrape off..Thanks

anything