Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: All my bees disappeared  (Read 3518 times)

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
  • 42 days and their wings fall off, eh?
All my bees disappeared
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:42:54 pm »
They cleaned out the whole hive too.  Clean as a whistle sometime in the last 2 weeks.  Only a handful of bees lingering that can barely move unless nudged.  Then they just crawl a few steps and stop and rest some more.  I'm guessing they must have starved and left, though I did not see them do so.  They will still feeding on fall buckwheat 2 weeks ago.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Re: All my bees disappeared
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 11:49:40 pm »
They cleaned out the whole hive too.  Clean as a whistle sometime in the last 2 weeks.  Only a handful of bees lingering that can barely move unless nudged.  Then they just crawl a few steps and stop and rest some more.  I'm guessing they must have starved and left, though I did not see them do so.  They will still feeding on fall buckwheat 2 weeks ago.

Too bad. They might have been robbed out.  'Tis the season. 
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 09:50:54 am »
Any dead bees stuck in cells with their butts sticking out?  Thats a sure sign of starvation.  Happened to me last year.  Really sucks.  Sorry to hear about it.  I'm afraid my bees wont make it this winter.  They're not taking sugar and honey supplys are low.  A swarm I caught early spring never built up all spring and summer long.  They definatly wont make it.  Starting to wonder if I should just quit. 

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 12:39:02 pm »
Actually the hive was totally clean but for a few live listless hangers on.  But all the cells were totally clean.
Yeah there is always next year.
Thanks

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:38:42 am »
Any dead bees stuck in cells with their butts sticking out?  Thats a sure sign of starvation.  Happened to me last year.  Really sucks.  Sorry to hear about it.  I'm afraid my bees wont make it this winter.  They're not taking sugar and honey supplys are low.  a swarm I caught early spring never built up all spring and summer long.  They definatly wont make it.  Starting to wonder if I should just quit. 

Sean Kelly

Don't feel discouraged Sean, we all have those times and feel like this.  I have wondered myself if my 4 hives do not make it through the winter this year, how I would feel about continuing.  But then there are always more swarms to catch.

How long have you been beekeeping??

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 01:01:14 am »
Sean don't get discouraged!  Mine didn't make it this year either. One lost the queen sometime early spring before the drones were out & the other surprised me with swarming (60' up in a pine tree....) then something happened & the new queen either died or didn't make it back from mating flight.  I have been preoccupied with life problems (that's a whole nuther post...) & didn't keep up with things.  Next spring if I'm still here will get some packages through the bee club.
Chin up, chin up, everyone loves a happy face...! :-D
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 01:39:42 pm »
It's not the end of the world. As the Queen Bee told me once, "Bees do what they do, when they want to do it!". There is a reason, and bees need every one of us beekers and more to help them make it thru these times. We would not exist if it was not for these ladies!!!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 06:25:00 pm »
But then there are always more swarms to catch.
How long have you been beekeeping??
Yes, I can't keep up with swarm calls.  I love catching swarms.  I've been keeping bees for 3 years now.

Next spring if I'm still here will get some packages through the bee club.
If you're still here?!?!?!  What does that mean, you're not moving are you?!?!?!  You can't move!  Who will I go to the Bee club with?  Ahh man...

Don't worry folks.  I'm not giving up.  I'm just having a diffficult time coping with my bees being lazy compared to years past.  It almost seemed like all my bees just didn't care any more and didn't collect nectar like they should have.  I did everything I should have besides requeening which I now regret.

Jody, by the way, I plan on going to the Nov 2nd Pierce Co. Beeks meeting.  Dr. Steve Sheppard from WSU will be there.  You should come along.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:38:37 pm »
I plan on going, and they will have CAKE!  YUM! I was really bummed when mine swarmed, a HUGE beautiful bunch of bees more than inna package WAY up in that pine tree.  I thought swarms hung around closer to the ground like JP gets but nope nope nope, not mine! :-x I was marching round the yard using some pretty colorful language trying to figure how to climb 60' straight up a pine tree on a steep slope! I shoulda bought a queen too, didn't have the $$.  That's life I guess!
Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 09:58:47 pm »
Jody, that would've been the perfect time to try that "Tanging" thing. Wonder if it would've worked?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 08:52:36 pm »
I ordered a new colony for early spring 2010, last week.
I'm just wondering if they will get situated and comfortable in time for May 1, when the tulip poplar explosion begins.
Or will I have to wait another year.  I have 2 deep supers and 1 mid super formed out with comb. 2 shallows on hold.
And of course I am only talking about 1 hive here, I won't be splitting it or trying to do anything fancy.
-PC