Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Big Swarm  (Read 1923 times)

Offline banjojohn

• New Bee
Big Swarm
« on: June 08, 2005, 10:14:51 pm »
I caught a big swarm(about as big as two basketballs, biggest I've seen, it had broken a one inch limb and was on the ground) about a month ago. I put in wired foundation(not drawn just the sheet) in a shallow super, it was all I had, and another a couple days later, total of 2 shallows. I looked in 2 wks. later(was gone on a trip) and they had filled both and had capped brood in the bottom, and eggs and larva in the top. Questions; Did I catch a whole hive ? and did she lay the first day they were in there?   I am a new member,first post, and appreciate the inputs . I only wanted one hive to play with and get a little honey, but thanks (I guess) to a neighbor who gave me all his eqipment, enough for about 7 hives, I am in this kneedeep.  I bough one start of bees, then a swarm moved in an empty hive, then I caught two swarms, then someone gave me another hive of bees. I now have 5 hives and became friends , accidently, with an experienced beekeeper. I guess it is fate, and I'll be lilke the farmer who won a million in the lottery and they asked what he was going to do with it . He said "I'll just keep farming till it runs out". I guess I'll just keep beekeeping till this stuff runs out.  Thanks.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Big Swarm
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 10:36:55 am »
>Questions; Did I catch a whole hive ?

No, probably just a large primary swarm.

> and did she lay the first day they were in there?

It would take them a day or two to drawn comb enough for her to lay, but a primary swarm has the old laying queen with it, so she could start laying within a day or two, or it may take longer to fatten her back up (since they slimmed her down to fly).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything