Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cindi, I gots chix!  (Read 4972 times)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Cindi, I gots chix!
« on: March 05, 2009, 06:39:54 pm »
Just got my chix yesterday..darn things look to have grown already! Ordered 25, got 30 (extra "packing peanuts")  They sent an extra RIR, blk Maran, Barred Rock & Eegger but there is this one??? I'll give my friend the extras of the kinds she wanted but am gonna have fun with the mystery one!  It is quite small, like the marans are, the EE's are bigger, Welsummers med.  They are so "ding dang" cute like Cindi says.  Cindi, I am always thinking Cindi'isms during the day when things happen..Holey Smokin Cadahoodlehoppers is one of my favs!!   :-D  AAKKKK, just looked out the window.. it's SNOWING!!!!!  :-x  The hummers will be back in the next week or so :shock: Here is a link to the albums  http://picasaweb.google.com/darbyfarms/IGotsChix?feat=directlink
 J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Cindi, I gots chix!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:34:04 pm »
They are so "ding dang" cute like Cindi says.  Cindi, I am always thinking Cindi'isms during the day when things happen..Holey Smokin Cadahoodlehoppers is one of my favs!!   :-D  AAKKKK, just looked out the window.. it's SNOWING!!!!!  :-x 

Oh Jody, I love you, smiling, you say the most kind things.  You just wait until we get together, we're gonna rock that town!!!  turn it inside out!!!  Smiling, and a big hee, haw!!!  It is a strange thing indeed.  There are many times when I do things, inside my house, outside my house, working the birds, workin' the bees, that I think of my forum friends.  Some more often than others.  Like you, you are always on my mind when I am doing stuff too.  I was looking at the new white llama next door yesterday, and no clue why, but you came to my mind.  I think that is because the next door neighbour has a cow that she tried to breed last year, but it didn't take, (I was gonna share with the milking and take some milk for us home, but it never happened, whah, whah).

Anyways, those girls of yours (and I mean the human ones), are very beautiful young ladies, they look so intent on the birds, that was so nice.

Those little babies are so ding dang cute, I loved them.  I see you have them in a big black bucket?  That is a great idea.  But, you know for surely that they will only be in there a couple of days, they do grow so blastedly fast!!!  I am totally envious of you having all those little babies, I love chix!!!!  Keep bringing on pictures so we can see their growth progress, that would be so cool.

That unidentifiable chick.  Well, my dear, I think it is a turkey, smiling.....look at this.....

Have the most wonderful and awesome day, life, health, love our groovin' life we all live and share. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 04:59:47 pm »
Jody, did you ident the mystery chick yet?  I can't wait to find out what it is.

We were at the auction yesterday, I took some roosters, got a good price for them.

I was so disgusted, I would never buy anything from the auction.  You would not have believed what we saw.  There were about 10 cages of these Muscovy drakes (about 4 to a cage) or more.   They all must have came from the same farm, they were the saddest things I have ever seen and I was disgusted.  They were all identical looking, all this grey colour and so sad.....my heart broke into a hundred pieces.

Each of these poor drakes had their upper bill lopped off the end, some of the upper bills had been cut shorter than others.  I noticed on a few of them that the bill had been cut so short that you could see the end of the tongue.  It sickened me and I felt like informing the animal rights thingy, if there is such a thing.  These drakes I don't think ever moved out of a teeny tiny holding pen.  That was clear to see.  They were dirty, muddy, half the feathers on their wing feathers had been bitten, chewed off, whatever.  They did not have any long tailfeathers, they were gone too.  They almost looked like an Ameracauna, you know, rumpless birds.  It was horrible and sickening and has made me never to want to go back to this auction, let alone to ever purchase anything there.  I know there may be a time when I may have something that I require to sell, hence an auction visit, but I would never go again, just to be a looky loo.

Why would they lop off the upper beak of a Muscovy?  I don't get that.  I know I have seen chickens with their beaks cut shorter, to prevent fighting and damage, but I think that doing that to a duck is totally out of line.  Maybe I am not informed enough to realize that this may be a necessity, perhaps on a huge farm where they raise these ducks it is necessary, but I can't stand it.

Oh well, I am sorry I saw what I did.  But now I am a little bit smarter, of something bad, but just a little more informed.  Beautiful day in this great life, love and live it like there narry was a tomorrow.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 10:29:50 pm »
Oh Cindi, I'm so sorry you had to see things like that. :-x  Makes me sick what some people do. I won't buy anything from the auction cause I get so upset at what I see.  Some people like you & I take care of their animals but many many do not.  I know they are for food & egg production but there is no reason to mistreat any living thing in the process.  I can't imagine the meat or egg production would be as high as a well housed & treated animal. The stress hormones from living like that can't be good for them, less weight gain, not as good meat.  If they are not over crowded I can see no reason for cutting the beaks like that.  I plan on eating the bull/steer calves Rosie has but they will have a respected, happy, clean, well fed cow life till the last second.
I still don't know what the mystery chix is! Does look sort of like your poult but the eye is smaller & beak different, it is also the same size or smaller than the chix.  The are growing so fast!  I have to find a larger inside container.  The water tubs are nice cause you can clean/bleach em easily.  They will go into a 300 gal tub in the barn at the end of the month once they get a few feathers on em & it should be a tad warmer???? They can stay in that till off the light, then into the dog kennel, then intigrated with the older chix. hopefully will have the expansion on the chix coop by then! Gave 9 of them to my hairdresser on Th, she is a hoot & calls me the crazy cat & chix lady. Will put an ad at the feedstore for 5 of the EE's & maybe a Welsummer or 2.  J

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 11:17:57 pm »
Jody, whah!!!  I feeling like screaming!!!  I have got the spring fever, and the itch is killing me, smiling.  I am not kidding.  I wish that I had never done this.....I got my old catalogue from Rochester Hatchery in Alberta (a Canadian province).  I started to look at all the birds that are available as those one day old chix.  Eeeks.....eeks....eeks...I don't know how I am going to be able to control myself, and control myself when I look at the egg incubator.  Oh dear.  I think sometimes that I sound like a raving lunatic.  But I have this need to grow little baby chix into big chix, smiling (I love that word chix, BTW, Jody, cool way of spelling it, smiling).  Every day I feel like I am rationalizing more and more about how I could "just get a few" new chix, just a few.  I look at my barn, the numbers of chickens is so low that it is looking rather lonely in there.  Oh brother.  On Wednesday, there will only be the 8 hens and the two roosters.  Gads, I guess I just better suck it up and be grateful for what I have, smiling.  Have that wonderful and most awesome day, health and life.  Cindi

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:27:30 pm »
Cindi, if I have a roo in this bunch & keep it, I will send you some eggs when you are ready.   They will be mostlikely EE or EE crossed w/maran or welsummer depending on which packing peanuts were the roos!  I got 12 instead of 10 EE's & 6 instead of 5 marans so probably either of those depending on which ones went to Bronwyn.  I know the yearning for life, one of my biggest joys is watching (& poking :evil:)things grow & multiply!  Off to pick up Chels from a friends!  J

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 11:30:56 pm »
Jody, I know I gotta go too, that movie night with Ken.  By the time that you have fertile eggs, I will probably be in my new place and will be set all up for egg incubation, so exciting, thank you for the kind offer, girl..... :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)  Love and live our great lives.  Cindi

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 08:11:58 pm »
Cindi, I think you are right about the poult!  It's wings are held differently than the other chix, higher on the back, not as long or feathered out yet.  The others can fly!  I added pics to the I gots chix picassa album. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Gffo8ps3fnTT_TyOs9oq5w?feat=directlink
 I named it Baby Huey, it looks to be a Spanish Black?  Google em to see what you think..It is black & yellow,no brown or grey.  What the heck am I going to do with a turkey??Maybe bring it to you at the BBQ?? It is a beautiful day here, looks so warm & is in the sun...in the shade...brrrrr!! Girls are flying & bringing in tons of yellow pollen. I see em zipping past the dining window.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 01:19:41 am »
Oh Jody, now this is a hoot and a hollar, and you are making me hoot more than I am hollaring!!! hee, hee, smiling that enormous and great smile.

I can picture this now, you got a turkey poult, hee, hee, hee, I can't stop this feeling of amazement and being struck by thunder.  SHiver me timbers!!!  Bring that baby on, you can do it, smiling.  I have to mark this topic as read because I need to reread and comment further this morning, it is getting near to my beddie time and I am weary, tired, excited.  Tomorrow we are on that road trip to my Daughters' houses, wonder if I will sleep tonight, smiling.......

Oh, by the way, turkey babies and chicken babies do get to be pretty ding dang good friends.  Get a load of this picture, it is one of my all time favourites, good night girl.  These two hung out like crazy, that was a chicken that was hatched when the poults were.  I am tempted to put a few chicken eggs under one of the turkey hens a few days after the turkey begins to sit, turkey take 28 days to hatch, chickens 21 days.  Have the most wonderful life, love and live it like it was your best friend. Cindi

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 01:28:13 am »
Cindi, I love that picture, it's perfect friends watching the world go by!  Baby Huey just carries itself differently than the chix & as you can see in the pics, the wings are way different, even compared to the slow feathering chix.  Maybe it's just "special" like the rest of us on the property! :-D  Get some sleep tonight so you can stay awake to keep Ken company on the drive & hug your family when you get there!  Safe trip my friend! J

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 01:31:17 am »
Jody, hugs and a kiss goodnight and goodbye, you'll hear from me soon, both my gals have internet where they are, one has satellite internet the other cable internet, I won't be lost, and I get to be that little queen. Sitting with my feet up, my gals at my beck and call.  Oh what a dreamer, they will, but I can't stand to sit still too long, it just sounded good on paper.  Goodnight, J.  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 06:36:40 am »
Those little chicks have such big feet! Cindi, I feel disgusted for you and just plain feel disgusted about those ducks with half a bill. That is done because they were kept in an over crowded arrangement, plain and simple. That's what factory farmers do, to try and avoid losses, it does seem like animal cruelty to me as well.

Jody, please keep us informed about the odd one.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything