Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting Bees for sting therapy in winter  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Rick

• Brood
Getting Bees for sting therapy in winter
« on: August 23, 2009, 11:32:37 am »
need about 5 bees per week. thinking of puuting some type of small hive in garage with outlet. any ideas
thanks
rick

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Getting Bees for sting therapy in winter
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 11:39:25 am »
It depends on if you are in Finland or Florida. Please update your profile location.

Welcome,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Rick

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 11:47:31 pm »
Sorry, upstate NY. long cold winters
wanted to try to get bees without disturbing main hives. I keep my garage around 45 deg.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:42:02 am »
get an observation hive that has openings for reaching bees.  mine is designed just for taking bees out for apitherapy.  you might not be able to populate it this year, but see about getting one for next year.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 09:39:31 am »
get an observation hive that has openings for reaching bees.  mine is designed just for taking bees out for apitherapy. 

Do you have any pics of this setup?

Thanks.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 10:29:51 am »
I like Kathy's suggesting of a observation hive.  But if that is not practical for you, you can keep nucs in the basement.  Although not ideal for the nuc,  it would work for your needs.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,10748.msg70719.html#msg70719
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 10:30:20 am »
it's just a regular observation hive with small ports that can be opened to grab a few bees.  i'll look for pics, but the glare makes it hard to get good ones.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 10:33:46 am »
My uncle and I were talking about sting therapy last night and while we are on the subject, kinda, he said that he heard somewhere that bees who forage buckwheat regularly have more potent venom than bees that do not forage buckwheat.  Any truth to this?  I've never heard of this before but I don't really know much about the sting therapy.

Thanks.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

anything