Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen not laying I think  (Read 2521 times)

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
Queen not laying I think
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:24:44 pm »
I started a nuc with a new queen and some brood and nurse bees from another hive.  This was about 2 months ago. I check them about once a week. I saw the queen today, but only about 4-8 larvae. THe bees don't seem to be drawing out the comb either.  There was some capped brood. I can't see the eggs, never have been able to. There may be eggs, but I can't tell.  Any ideas?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Queen not laying I think
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:45:24 pm »
I started a nuc with a new queen and some brood and nurse bees from another hive.  This was about 2 months ago. I check them about once a week. I saw the queen today, but only about 4-8 larvae. THe bees don't seem to be drawing out the comb either.  There was some capped brood. I can't see the eggs, never have been able to. There may be eggs, but I can't tell.  Any ideas?

Imagine a very small grain of rice balanced on its end.  Now, with the sun over your shoulder hold the frame so that the sun shines down into the comb.  You should see those little grains of rice centered in the cell.  Also look for the later stage of the larva laying on its side in a small pool of white milk like substance (royal jelly).
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 10:53:19 pm »
Thank you.  I had a beekeeper come out and show me how to look for eggs, I just can't see them. Even with my glasses on.  Any ideas on why she isn't laying? Any ideas on how to get her going? Any ideas on how to get the bees to draw comb?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 11:06:49 pm »
what is your flow like?  if she's not laying and they aren't drawing comb, i'd wonder if they are getting enough of the right stuff to eat.  also, do you have enough workers? 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 11:56:26 pm »
A few questions:
1. What type of foundation are you using?
2. Are you feeding pollen patties or syrup?
3. Have you added more bees/frames to boost the dwindling population?
4. Is the comb honey bound from being over fed?
5. What types of forage are you bees working at the moment?
6. Are you using a nuc of full size hive body?
7. How are your other hives/splits performing?

Answer those questions and I'll give a more precise answer to your question as it lacking information to be more than general at the moment.  In other words I'd have to guess at one of a dozen possibilities.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 11:57:26 pm »
Have you tried holding up a magnyfying lens to see into the cells? What's your weather been like? No nectar available, no pollen available they will build slowwwly. They usually can find pollen though.

Have you offered feed? If no flow, feed them and they will more than likely draw comb.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 11:35:00 am »
Thank you all for your info. I think I know what the problem is.  :)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 11:57:58 am »
care to share??  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 11:33:17 pm »
I have a strong hive also.  They drew out the comb and filled it with honey very fast.  The queen is working hard, I don't like her, but that is a different problem.  So I thought the nuc should be doing well also.  Here in Honolulu we don't have much of a problem with nectar flow or pollen.  The same thing kept coming up in the answers, and I kind of thought I might need to feed them.  So I am going to start. Thank everyone!