Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: thin foundation in grooved frames  (Read 2102 times)

Offline GJS

• New Bee
thin foundation in grooved frames
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:38:11 pm »
Someone help me out here.  I bot some grooved comb honey frames and some thin foundation, but now can't figure out how to fix the foundation into the frames.  What is the scoop on this?  Did I get the wrong frames?  GJS in California  :-x
Keep on the sunny side of life!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: thin foundation in grooved frames
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 11:46:41 pm »
are they wood frames?  do they have a piece that is cut so that you can pull it loose?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline GJS

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:49:54 pm »
Yes, they are wood frames; and no, they don't have a wedge piece that can be pulled loose.  What to do?  GJS  :-x

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:55:00 pm »
don't think i have ever seen a wood frame without a wedge piece at the top.  do you remember where you got them so we can see if there is a picture?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline GJS

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 12:07:30 am »
Mann Lake is the source.  Maybe I'm missing something here.  There sure don't seem to be any removable parts to make a wedge, though.  :roll:

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 12:22:13 am »
If you don't have crimp wired foundation (the vertical wired stuff) you need to wire your frames. After wiring just place one side of the foundation in either groove and seat it fully. Then push the other side in by bowing the foundation a little with your hand. It usually pops right in to the other groove. Run your thumb along the groove to make sure it's seated all the way down the groove. When installed correctly you should be able to slide the sheet of foundation back and forth in the grooves.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 12:34:12 am »
that's where mine came from, so if they are the same.....

turn the frame so that the top of the frame is sitting on the table in front of you.  there should be a groove.  on one side of the groove, the wood will be solid.  on the other, the wood will be underscored and you can slip a flat head under there and pop it loose.  put the foundation in and push the wedge piece tight against it.  staple with a heavy duty stapler.  1/2 works well. 

if you are using thin foundation in honey supers, you don't need to worry about support as much, but i put pins in the sides just to keep it stable until the bees build it out.  if you are using thin in brood boxes, you may need to wire it.  in my frames i use strips rather than full sheets, except that i give them 1 full full sheet per box if it is a swarm or package.  that gives them a guide so that they don't build wonky comb.

different instructions for strips  :-)

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 08:28:10 am »
You could also use a metal tube to run a bead of wax to fasten in the foundation. You can make your own or buy one:
https://products.kelleybees.com/wtkprod/detail.aspx?item=308
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 11:43:13 am »
that's how you do strips.  works really well.  i have an old glass syringe that i use, but same idea.