Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The merge with pictures  (Read 4794 times)

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
The merge with pictures
« on: November 08, 2004, 02:57:35 am »
Well I have put the two hives into 2 supers. It wasn't too bad, but the girls don't seem to like to be played with this time of year. I took pictures so here they are.
This is my hive with my top feeder inplace. I have a small table near the hive to make things easier. the red box is something I threw together as a feeder cover.

Hre's a close up of my top feeder. it holds 3 pints, it will have to do until I get some gallon jars.

Here's the front of the hive after the merge

Here's the top before the merge

Here's the back after the merge, notice the inner cover under the feeder box and the small sticks I have there to give a second entrance and ventilation.

Here's the extra frames tha I took out to make room for the ones from the nuc. I put them there in front of the hive that the girls can rob them at will

The girls had eaten most of the paper away so I am not worried about them getting along. C3 is now a nice full hive amd I am feeding as much as they'll take.

Good luck Girls.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
The merge with pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 03:01:10 am »
If you notice the chair to the right in the first picture, thats where I have my coffee when it's nice out.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Anonymous

The merge with pictures
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 09:02:49 am »
Great job! It appears that you have everything under control. Hopefully the bees will be able to get enough stores put together to make it through the winter OK.
One question. Were either of your queens marked? I'm curious to know which of the two survived the merger.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
The merge with pictures
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 03:56:10 pm »
Niether queen was marked.
The grls were out there today getting the honey off that frame
It is definitely chillier today, 56, so there isn't as much activity.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
The merge with pictures
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 09:15:17 am »
Rog,

Just out of curiosity, is that an inspection sticker?

Great job and good luck,  you are becoming quite the seasoned beekeeper.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
The merge with pictures
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 10:25:39 am »
Yes that is a inspection sticker.
Thanks I don't feel all that seasoned.

Anonymous

The merge with pictures
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 12:53:30 pm »
Pa. is too cheap to give you inspection stickers for your hives. The bee inspector simply fills out a three part form and gives you one of the copies for your records.

Come to think of it, Pa. is pretty cheap about everything except taxes.