Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How often is too often?  (Read 2970 times)

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
How often is too often?
« on: July 06, 2009, 05:24:51 pm »
Hello,

I'm really new to beekeeping and very excited about it.  I have the sweetest bees that let me sit right in front of the hive in the morning and drink my tea with them.  The hive is a combination of 2 hives, one that didn't have a queen, added to another hive using the newspaper dividing thing.  (The lady I got the hive from did this not me.)  They seem really happy and  I see them coming in with big orange legs all of the time.  They were bearding an awful lot during the heat wave we just had, and you could smell the warm honey, so I propped up the top cover just a little and that seems to help.  The hive just seems packed in the evenings and I worry about crowding.

My question is, how often is too often to look inside the hive?  My fiance says I bug them too much and I should just leave them alone.  The lady I got them from came over about 2 weeks ago (which was about 2 weeks after we moved the hive to my yard) and we had to take both chambers off and flip the bottom board over, cause it was on wrong.  That also helped with the bearding.  She saw eggs at that time and they had pulled all but 4 frames in the top chamber (which seems to be all honey even tho it is a brood chamber from the unqueened hive).  But it's been 2 weeks, and the smell of  honey is really strong and yesterday the bees were flying in a cloud around the hive (which I hadn't seen them do before) and I'm worried they're out of room, but afraid to bother them by looking in if its been too soon.

So, how often is too often?

Thanks!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: How often is too often?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 05:41:16 pm »
as often as you need to look is ok.  :-)

if you are concerned about space, there is no way to alleviate your concerns except to get in and see what is happening.  as a new beekeeper, once a week is not to often.  you can  not learn if you don't get in there and observe the workings of your hive.

as you get more experience, you may not feel the need to check so often. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 05:48:35 pm »
May want to check the top box and see how full it is. If it is half full of honey and /or brood, go ahead and add another box of your choice.

Sounds like you are getting play flights,( their first orientation flight), this is the oldest house bees getting ready to start field work.  :)doak

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 06:47:17 pm »
YAY! :-D

Thanks so much for the replies! I am super excited to have found this place and super excited to look inside again without having to worry I'm freaking them out.

Thank you thank you!

Ziffa

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 06:52:32 pm »
Read what Kathy said and add this...

Checking them too often agitates them a bit.

Checking them too seldom may kill them.

Which is better?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 09:51:19 am »
Shucks, once a week for a beginner isn't too much.  As you get more experienced and up to 10 hives you'll back off a bit.  :-D

It is worth disturbing them for a while in order to learn what they are doing and what to look for.  It may set them back a little bit, but it really isn't much at all.

Seriously, that is one advantage to having multiple hives...you can still have as much fun, but without disturbing them so much.

Rick
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 01:18:01 pm »
Ziffa, as a new beekeeper, as you are, I agree totally and 100% with the comments that you have received.  The most important thing in the world right now for you, is to become as familiar as you can with your bees -- and that means examining them as much as you feel necessary.  Iddee is correct in saying that disturbing the bees sets them back a little, no doubt about that.  BUT....they key to becoming that great beekeeper that you aspire to be, will be to understand them and their behaviours, what goes on in their homes, so look, as much as your little heart desires.  Good, you are finding out that our forum will be that learning tool that is so important, ask your questions.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline charles

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 03:07:21 pm »
How much can you be sure of by observing the outside of the hive and listening to them?
4 hives

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 03:38:32 pm »
How much can you be sure of by observing the outside of the hive and listening to them?

Quite a bit...if normally calm bees are agitated for a bit, maybe a check is in order.  You can see k-wings, crawlers, and chalkbrood mummies outside the hive.  Nosema will typically show in the spring with streaking on the hive.  Screened bottom boards may show you mite counts, chalkbrood mummy drops, wax flakes, pollen samples, sugar granules, mouse poop, wax moths, all of which mean something even if it isn't a lot.

For me it is mostly population.  Lots of bees busily working is a good sign.

Some things you may not see...brood diseases, swarming instincts, etc.
Rick

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 05:24:30 pm »
Thanks again for all of the replies.  Of course, now that I've gotten "permission" to go look, we've got rain and wind for a week.  :'( 

Hopefully this weekend will clear up.  I'll let you know what I find!

I do have another question (well, I have thousands, but this is my next one).  Most of my bees are a very pretty golden/brown color on their tails with just a little bit of black at the bottom, with pretty golden/cream colored fur on their bodies.  But every once in a while I'll see a bee that has an almost totally black tail, a tiny bit longer and skinnier, with a much more yellowy fur fly right into the hive.  They don't seem to get mad at the different bee or anything, but I'm worried that it is an intruder. 

Do you think it's because they were from different hives to begin with?  Or do you think it a feral bee sneaking in and stealing?  Is is normal for bees in one hive to have different physiognomy?

Ok, one more, what are the consequences of not getting a super on soon enough?  I think I might need one, but I won't know til I look, and I have to order and assemble it and I'm afraid I"m already late.  How bad is that?

Thanks again! I can't say how happy I am to have a place to ask these things!

ziffa

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 05:32:27 pm »
I have diffrent size bee's and diffrent color bee's I believe it is a normal thing :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 07:07:03 pm »
Congrats on your hive!!!

You will find different Bees when 2 are combined..looks only matter to us..the Bees use smell to know their sisters.

The only concern I've found with opening hive is the the following points.
1. Have another box to put the first frame out of the box in...try to never set them on the ground..I almost lost a queen that way...was laughing so hard I almost cried when she went skieedaddleing back into the front door.
2. Pull empty frames from the outside to make room so you don't squish your bees or queen. They tend to get pissy when you do that.

3. Smoke your hive with COOL smoke and wait about 2 mins..then pop outer cover and add another 1-2 puffs in the front door. To move Bees from frames a puff or two will move them..BE SURE TO ADD WET OR DAMP GRASS to cool smoke....they dislike being set on fire..doh!

Move slow, treat them like your newborn children and you will have many wonderful findings.

Next year read up on an observation hive and buy one..I bought the Brushy Mountain one and saw our Queen only 10 mins after she hatched...was soooo cool. Ob hives are challengeing so be prepared before you take this step. READ READ READ...lol

Enjoy the most rewarding Business I've ever done....oh..it's not a hobby...a hobby is like knitting or fishing...Bees are work.
Mark
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 08:50:54 pm »

I do have another question (well, I have thousands, but this is my next one).  Most of my bees are a very pretty golden/brown color on their tails with just a little bit of black at the bottom, with pretty golden/cream colored fur on their bodies.  But every once in a while I'll see a bee that has an almost totally black tail, a tiny bit longer and skinnier, with a much more yellowy fur fly right into the hive.  They don't seem to get mad at the different bee or anything, but I'm worried that it is an intruder.  

Do you think it's because they were from different hives to begin with?  Or do you think it a feral bee sneaking in and stealing?  Is is normal for bees in one hive to have different physiognomy?

ziffa

to answer you question, your queen (unless you bought a high dollar pure AI/II Queen) she was open mated and breed with many different drones, which means you will get different colors of bee's, the bee's with fur on them is just young bee's, the bee's that have no fur in older bee's, different colors means they had different fathers or just the mothers side coming out, its nothing to worry about.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

anything