Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: We did it for the bees  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
We did it for the bees
« on: February 08, 2007, 10:44:39 am »
In the fall of 2005 we began the quest to make the back 4 acres of our property (we habit the first acre with home and gardens) ready to create a world for the bees and more useful agricultural area.  It began with a friend of my son-in-law's who came in with a small bobcat and began levelling some areas, removing some pretty dense undergrowth.  Our intention was to remove the trees that made the denseness of the property unusable because of shade.  This was done.  We left many of the coniferous trees in groves, to maintain a park like setting and it was accomplished with finesse with the work of the tree faller and the excavator man.

About February of 2006 we had another friend of his come in a cut down almost all of the hardwood deciduous trees in the wished to be cultivated area.  Leaving many of these species of trees intact along the perimeter of the property.

Shortly thereafter another friend of his came in with his hyhoe excavator and stacked the timber, cleaning up the left over debris and placing it on a burn pile at the very end of the property.  Our property was allowed to replenish itself over the course of the summer.

In the late summer the excavator came back and finished the job by raking up all the large debris and stump removal, all put onto the big burn pile.  Once he was complete his work.  Then our work began.  We spent about a month with many of the children picking up the smaller sticks and putting them on the burn pile.

The last part of the landscape was my husband spending days raking the property with a pronged chain device that he pulled behind the quad.  That was the hardest, backbreaking part.

This year in another month, I will be preparing to set the seed of the myriad of seeds that I had spent most of last summer gathering and storing, along with purchased grasses and clovers.  This will be a lot of work too.  But when May comes, the land will be a place of beauty.

I have assembled some pictures that will give a slight glimpse into the project from the start to end.  Which is what we see now when we look out at the back of our property.

This first picture was what the property looked like before the clearing began at the back.  If you look at the picture you will see the leafless branches of the deciduous hardwoods removed.  These trees shed so much shade that the property never properly dried out, was always mucky in summer and would never support any kind of agricultural uses.

What the property looked like after summer growth, just prior to the excavator coming back in to do stump removal and more levelling.

A small pile of debris.  The u-shaped log will be saved for some kind of picturesque use on the property.

My oldest grandson off into the wild blue yonder on the quad.

The eventual end product.  What it looks like now.  All of the back property is groves of cedars and hemlocks, beautiful and flat, dry and not mucky and boggy like it was prior to all the work.

The timber that was removed, there were two other piles as well of the same size.  Brought in some good money.

Hope you enjoy the glimpse into my part of the world.  If there are any tree huggers out on the forum, I apologize, but this was necessary to make our acreage a usable piece of property.  Greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: We did it for the bees
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 12:01:38 pm »
So you have five acres of space there? I got five acres also. Mine is 200+ feet wide and 900+ feet deep. Wish I had a green thumb. Can't hardly get anything to grow and what does grow doesn't do it very well. Course the drought last year didn't help much. Our little 1/2 horse pump in the well isn't much good for any kind of garden, and sure won't reach all the property. I think you asked what the water table was around here once. It is 125 feet down. Our well is 155 feet deep. Gives the well 25 feet of water (there abouts). The average rain fall I think is about 80 inches. That happens in the Spring (April/may) And fall (September/October)

You are scraping out trees and I can't get a tree to grow. I think the biggest problem is this was all farm land, cotton field, until we moved onto it five years ago. I have for the most part just let nature take over and do her thing. I just try to keep the weeds mowed down. Every year I see some different plant or bug showing up. I have been seeing plants coming up in the last couple of years that I have never seen in this part of the country, not just on my land but all over this area.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 01:28:02 pm »
very nice.  I'm sure fixing it up and sewing a variety of plant life will make a picturesque scene and fine bee yard for years to come.  I'm currently helping my dad do domething similar on his property.  It's amazing the difference thinning the trees makes on the variety of plant life and general aesthetics.    Although we're doing in all ourselves and using the wood in the outdoor wood furnace we have to heat our business.  It's amazing how having one of those basically eliminates your heating costs, but to heat 6000 sq feet when it's 0°F it needs a lot of wood.  Good thing we have it.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 07:13:33 pm »
Sounds exciting good luck
kirk-o :roll:
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 09:19:14 am »
Awesome pix and narrative, Cindi.  I wish I had more land here, maybe someday we'll find our dream farm in Maine, but until then I'll fiddle with what I've got - .6 of an acre, bordered and filled with 28 years of gardening and now bees.

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 03:26:29 am »
Nice pictures cindi,
I know how much work it is to clear mixed forest here.  I had a friend help for a month clear just the TRAIL!  It took us a month to just cut out salmon berries and yound maples to open up the forest around the trail and chip all of it to make the trail.  We had a huge bonfire when the rain started up in fall.  Lots of ferns filled in the space we created, and all the chips sunk into the ground! 
I know you have plenty of seed, but I have some seeds brought over from NZ that the bees love there.  NZ flax etc, I would like to split it up among those I know garden, and I know how much seed it takes for an area that big!  Lucky bees.  I would like to do a wildflower mix in our back pasture area in front of the forest.  Our yard bloomed in forget me nots, then dandilions, and then clovers.  I started tons of gallardias/daisy/poppies/columbines and they have each established a certain small area hopefully spreading from there.  It seems like they got swallowed up.  I want to start patches of joe pie, and butterfly bush this year and not get ahead of myself with new introductions.  It was pretty dry last summer and new plants got beaten up a fair bit by the heat and lack of sufficient watering. 
My long term goal is to replace the lawn with flowering plants...I hate mowing grass.  We stared fig, cherry, pear and apple trees out too.  I love gardening as part of keeping bees.  Its such a blessing to live in a forest, with so many species.  Hummingbirds, bats, birds, owls, frogs, wild bees, dragonflies etc.  I know they say bees will not collect much from the apiary but Ron had said one time that studies show most hives will forage three hundred feet from the colony.  Or at least a high percentage.  Of course this is for pollination, and our bees will not have a sustained forage three hundred feet from home...but it would be nice to fill that 'home forage' with a mix of standbys or enhancements!  Good luck with your gardening!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 08:09:29 pm »
Steve, sounds like you have several acres?  How many?  I would  love to come and see your place one day.  It sounds like the enchanted forest and you are on your way to some pretty nice trees and flowers growing.  Good for you.

I would want some of your seed, particularly NZ flax.  This year I am going to take a bag of bought bird seed and sow the seed out the back too so the birds can have food for a good part of the winter out there.  I feed them daily here and if I could gather my own seed for them too, that would cut down costs quite a bit, it can get quite costly feeding our feathered friends.  (But worth it).

Good to finally meet you at the class yesterday.  The class was good too.  Greatest of days.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service