Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best way to kill Wasp nest  (Read 9156 times)

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
Best way to kill Wasp nest
« on: October 16, 2009, 02:11:21 pm »
Hey!

We are having new gutters installed on our house.  My boyfriend reminded me that we have several wasp/hornet nests in our attic on the eaves.  They haven't really bothered us, but there are wasps/hornets in them (I don't know how to tell the difference but they are skinny and orange.)  We are pretty sure the gutter installers are going to want to kill them.  My hive is about 100 feet away from my house.  What is the best way to kill these nests without harming my bees!

Thanks for any advice.

ziffa

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
Re: Best way to kill Wasp nest
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 02:38:55 pm »
I am usually against pesticides so what I do is take a shopvac and tie or tape the end of the hose up next to their entrance. I let it run for a couple of days during daylight hours and it knocks down their population to the point where they usually can't survive as a colony.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 07:48:43 pm »
buy that 20 ft spray, wait until night...a cooler night if you have one coming, soak the nest.  repeat next night if you didn't kill them all.  an alternative method is to suit up and take a pressure washer to the nest.

what ever you do, it's the nest you must get.  just spraying the entrance or near the nest will not do.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:08:27 pm »
If I don't care about getting oil on things, I use a spray bottle with vegatable oil.  If I DO care, then I use soapy water.  If I want to save the wasps, I use water and after the wasps can't fly, take down the nest and put it in a jar.  After they can fly and have regrouped on the nest, put the lid (with air holes of course) on and take them where you want them.  Dump them on the ground and run.  Come back and spray with water again and shake them off on the ground.  Put the nest up where you want it with some kind of quick drying glue or fast epoxy with something to hold it in place.  After it is solid, remove whatever you have holding it and the wasps will dry out and move back in.  :)

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 12:51:17 am »
Hmm, thanks for all the good answers.  If it was just me, i'd leave them be because i figure, if they are'nt bothering me, why bother them.  But I figure the gutterers will probably bother them.

Not sure where I'd move them as I live in the city. I guess i was more looking for is there a spray that will kill them and not the bees.  I might try the shop vac thing. But will probably end up spraying them.  Would the spray kill the bees?  If so, I will choose something else.

Thanks,
ziffa

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:26:37 am »
A hard freeze will kill them all and that should be coming up soon shouldn't it?  I don't know what kind of cold you get in Atlanta, but I think you do get winter don't you?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin